VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
just got myself a vagcom cable and installed it and everything on my laptop, i want to check my chain stretch tolerances on my r32 but im unsure how to ? anyone guide me through it? ( if it can be done on this level of vagcom that is) cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou! so is -1 the best possible reading for both blocks and they should be the same, the lower the better?

·
494 Posts
No problem.
Mine reads -2 ,thats on a 10,000 mile engine.
They need not necessaraly be the same but they will be close I suspect.
Yes,lower the better but some guys on here ride high numbers with no apparent problems.
Personally -8 ish would alarm me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah okay thanks anyway, how much is the full version and best place to get it? there is a button on there for measuring blocks

·
494 Posts
They are about £250 ish new I think. I bought mine of a guy on this forum for a lot less though. They do appear on ebay but be carefull its a proper version on there.
Google Ross Tech for uk agents.
I suspect your measuring block button isnt connected !!

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
No worries. I bought the Lite version about a year ago as I had the emissions light come on, and my local garage charge £20 to plug into their VAGCOM. A no-brainer! I've also used it a couple of times since.
Where is the vag com lite available from then my friend??

·
264 Posts
I've got the lite version and you can't check the chains with it. You can register the lite version with Ross tech which opens the version up further to enable you to check the chains and its $99 (£60ish).

Keep meaning to register mine but I only want it to be able to check the chains so I keep putting it off

·
139 Posts
I had resort to an old copy of vagcom 409.1 if I remember correctly. Works a treat with my 'dumb' cable.

Wayne

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

·
2,204 Posts
No problem.
Mine reads -2 ,thats on a 10,000 mile engine.
They need not necessaraly be the same but they will be close I suspect.
Yes,lower the better but some guys on here ride high numbers with no apparent problems.
Personally -8 ish would alarm me.
Yeah the closer to zero they are, the better. Mine were on -7 at 54K miles. Changed the chains and they now read -3 (inlet) and -2 (exh). Mine was also a tooth out. Put that right too and it's never run so good

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,237 Posts
my car is on 90k and finally after years of owning car checked them today, both at -1. Not what I expected. Check another forum members car on 111k and they were -3 and -4. Was getting mine booked in soon for chains while I have some cams installed, not sure now, especially as I think I already have some cams in the car. Going to have to whip the rocker cover off I think and have a poke around.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,237 Posts
well I haven't got vid as petrol tank drained at moment. seen 288bhp on AMD rollers and the car is running very rich at top end, so probably a bit more hp to be found once I get remapped. seems quite high for a non cammed car. I know AMD rollersread a bit high.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
simonmac said:
well I haven't got vid as petrol tank drained at moment. seen 288bhp on AMD rollers and the car is running very rich at top end, so probably a bit more hp to be found once I get remapped. seems quite high for a non cammed car. I know AMD rollersread a bit high.
Seems high for a cammed car. What else you got?

My car made 286 on amd rollers with a cat back!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts