VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed today on tickover that my r feels like its missfiring yet it drives fine with no fault codes ?? Is it just a common v6 thing ?

·
19,389 Posts
No the idle should be smooth. Normal idle is around 600rpm.

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Mine feels slightly lumpy on tick over sometimes its not that noticeable but is there , I thought it was because of my cams as its extremely smooth on driving even smoother that a fiesta a drive with 800 miles (mine felt newer too)

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No mine is noticable , im going to change the plugs and fuel filter but my guesses are its a coil pack thats starting to fade . ..hope it aint the flywheel

·
19,389 Posts
Have the coilpacks been changed in the last couple of years as part of the coilpack "recall" that affects all R32s upto around 2007?

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
themainlegend said:
Get the throttle body cleaned up!!! Surprising how much grime builds up in there!!!
Show me tomorrow what and where it is

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cuprabob said:
Have the coilpacks been changed in the last couple of years as part of the coilpack "recall" that affects all R32s upto around 2007?
Apparently it has , I phoned vw about two week ago and tried to get a mechatronic recall but they checked my vin and said it only had the coils two year ago and there was no more

·
Senior Citizen
2,624 Posts
Take the battery off for 10 minutes the. Reconnect and it cycles the throttle body to basic settings I believe. I am about to be shot down in flames I bet.

·
279 Posts
AaronMc said:
Mine has something like this, idle is dead smooth and doesnt fluctuate, but I have a tapping feeling through the floor, both me and passenger can feel it, doesnt go when clutch is depressed either but feels related to flywheel..
This is what mine is like...a broken flywheel sounds expensive to fix!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
dazr32 said:
Take the battery off for 10 minutes the. Reconnect and it cycles the throttle body to basic settings I believe. I am about to be shot down in flames I bet.
I wasn't aware of this? If your careful you can clean it without re calibration through VCDS,

·
2,204 Posts
My MK4 had a slightly lumpy idle before I did the chains. Discovered it was timed a tooth out. It's much smoother now, both at idle and through the revs.

My mate had a 2008 MK5 DSG from new and that was the same. You could see it rocking about on it's mounts on idle after a good thrash, but it was pretty smooth in the car. None of the VR6s have ever been totally stable at idle like an Audi V6 or BMW 6.

You don't need to do anything to the throttle body when you remove it. The ECU self calibrates the throttle and pedal. MK5s dump the crankcase deposits downstream of the throttle blade anyway.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
CorradoR32 said:
My MK4 had a slightly lumpy idle before I did the chains. Discovered it was timed a tooth out. It's much smoother now, both at idle and through the revs.

My mate had a 2008 MK5 DSG from new and that was the same. You could see it rocking about on it's mounts on idle after a good thrash, but it was pretty smooth in the car. None of the VR6s have ever been totally stable at idle like an Audi V6 or BMW 6.

You don't need to do anything to the throttle body when you remove it. The ECU self calibrates the throttle and pedal. MK5s dump the crankcase deposits downstream of the throttle blade anyway.
So if you take it off and clean it there's no re calibration or re alignment via VCDS required?

·
206 Posts
Mine sits dead level on idle at 600rpm but i to have slight vibration as the engine rocks about, i checked the figures on my timing chain and the blocks came back with positive readings. My car is a DSG, im putting it down to the flywheel myself. Im going to call up to find out about the coilpack change, As a cheaper alternative i will give the plugs a refresh at some point and clean the throttle body but if no luck i will be tempted to change the flywheel at some point.

·
300 Posts
I have. 06 plate DSG and mine is exactly the same sits dead level at 600RPM but can feel very slight vibration when idling but I have noticed is when in park or neutral i can feel vibration but when I put it in drive with my foot on the brake I can't feel the vibration I am glad someone started a thread on this as I was wondering what it is myself

·
3,611 Posts
Maybe a silly questions but do both DSG & Manaul sit idle at 600rpm.

Mine sits higher its a manual ?

·
206 Posts
I have. 06 plate DSG and mine is exactly the same sits dead level at 600RPM but can feel very slight vibration when idling but I have noticed is when in park or neutral i can feel vibration but when I put it in drive with my foot on the brake I can't feel the vibration I am glad someone started a thread on this as I was wondering what it is myself
Exactly the same,

Moment my car goes into D, no more vibration at all but in park and neutral i feel the vibration. My guess is the flywheel as when we ran a diagnostic the crankshaft position sensor flagged up on VCDS, but no dash lights. This indicated that maybe the flywheel is nearing the end of its life as a slight imbalance at one point may have triggered this CEL.

It drives fine otherwise with no power loss but its on the agenda at some point to have the flywheel changed.

·
300 Posts
Oh dear don't like the sound of that mine is only a very slight vibration my misses who drives the car more than me has never noticed it but I am very picky on things like this I take it it's one of those things that will just get worse and what would the cost be to have a flywheel fitted to a DSG ££££ anyone know

·
300 Posts
Having looked at the other post on mine you can't see any movement on engine when it's running just very slight vibration when in P when your sat in car

1 - 20 of 31 Posts