VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a good forced induction setup including fitting and vat?

And lets not be silly and say a grand etc, this is a serious question.

:)

·
180 Posts
7-8k For drive-in drive-out conversion with spacer gasket, fmic and 400bhp, or 10-12k for uprated internals, fmic and 500bhp seems reasonable.. i've heard of kits costing 18k which is just silly.

·
3,732 Posts
you dont always get what you pay for by spending more dosh though. take the early EIP induction kits...twice the price of competitors for simply a rebranded universal unit with the right logo on it

when you say setup wayne are you meaning purely engine?

·
777 Posts
I reckon you want a tried and trusted kit, one that you know quite a few people have used and not had too many problems with. Also have to budget for the uprated other parts which may be required. Sounds expensive but if you are gonna do it then better to be safe than sorry.

How much power you after Wayne? 350/400/500bhp??

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
purely engine setup, yes VC. and tuning etc. Things further than that are obvioiusly dependent on whats already "good for it" on the car.

Im just interested in peoples thoughts Priyan :)

I know that almost everyone on the forum, doesnt just do things they do them properly, hence the question of what you would pay.

·
3,732 Posts
in that case i would expect to be spending on average about £7k+ for a reputable install and even then ancillaries could push it higher, clutch, box, zorst and brakes into the mix too as its pointless having the go without the stop

going to take the plunge this year i think too

·
180 Posts
I'd like to aswell, but still hanging on to the hope that they bring out a 4motion R36 version of the new 'rocco. Then I'll get one of those and turbo that instead :D

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
I wish the FT-400 kits were a bit cheaper than they are at the moment. If I could get one supplied and fitted for around £6k I'd probably jump at it :D

·
2,808 Posts
Why is turbo'ing so expensive? Is it labour intensive or materials? 7grand doesnt seem very good value for money. How fast is a turbo r32? lets say 400hp, Surely it should be 996 turbo performance considering the weight and bhp? Id rather just save my cash and buy a better car, ie. RS4 or 997 etc.

·
4,328 Posts
How fast are a turbod r?

Well i had a play with a ferrari 360 the other day and he was left completely confused, the look on his face was amazing. It was a rolling go of speeds for 60 up to ?20. He pretty much took the lead by a few lenghts till the turbo kicked in and then i gained and overtook him :) :) :). But then we went again and i was in a better gear, 5th, and took the lead and kept it :) I should of taken a picture of his face. M3s, RS4s dont stand a chance.

I hope that doesnt sound boastful as i dont mean it to, if i wanted to i would of put a thread up about it. I just wanted to show my experience of how quick the car is :)

·
777 Posts
Wayne said:
purely engine setup, yes VC. and tuning etc. Things further than that are obvioiusly dependent on whats already "good for it" on the car.

Im just interested in peoples thoughts Priyan :)

I know that almost everyone on the forum, doesnt just do things they do them properly, hence the question of what you would pay.
sorry, didnt mean to imply that you were gonna do it on the cheap mate or not properly. Just read a few posts on here about charging and that they have had a few problems that all. I hold my hands up and admit I dont know the exact prices of the kit involved. Thats all I meant about the tried and trusted kits. your knowledge on these matters will no doubt be far greater than mine.

I'm liking the sound of Pomme's turbo. 400bhp would be niice!!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no i understand i didnt mean it to sound like i was getting defensive priyan.

The reason the r32 turbo conversions cost so much is purely down to development costs.

Turbo upgrade for an evo or subaru is far far less due to the car being turbo ready in the first place.

For the r32, you have to create a manifold, downpipe, ic and piping depending on if its direct to manifold or intercooled. Then you have to get the car to run.

Lets not forget this is a whopping great 3.2 v6 engine in comparativly small car. Hence you have to make sure everything fits perfect.

Thats the reason a turbo conversion costs so much on an r32.

@Rupo, i honestly dont believe you could get a better performing car for the price of a mk4 r32 + turbo kit and ancillaries about now.

each to their own though, the r32 FI market is growing alot recently due to the influx of both mk4 price drops and new mk5 owners.

I may have something planned, that may interest you all, then again, i may not. your gonna have to wait :p and unlike you rich, my mi5 skills mean i can keep a secret haha ;)

·
324 Posts
The Golf R32 is a fantastic car, and if you love it so much that you wouldn't change it for anything else realistic within your budget constraints, supercharging/turbo'ing would be fine if you were able to grdually save up a fund for it, as you will have a beast, but if its performance you want and you don't mind how it looks, what attention it attracts, you'll never be able to beat the prospect of an EVO/Impreza/R33Skyline/Supra for the same money.

MK4 R32 for 14k
EVO 8 FQ320 14K or an EVO 6 Mak Ed.

Then 6k-8k on the Golf to turbo/s'charge.

With the same money spent on an EVO, it'd rip the R32 a new hole round a track and on the twisties. And it would have nearer 500bhp, since 1k can turn an EVO FQ varient into circa 400bhp.

But its down to what you want, vorsprung durch tecknik or rice rocket :)

·
2,808 Posts
How fast are a turbod r?

Well i had a play with a ferrari 360 the other day and he was left completely confused, the look on his face was amazing. It was a rolling go of speeds for 60 up to ?20. He pretty much took the lead by a few lenghts till the turbo kicked in and then i gained and overtook him . But then we went again and i was in a better gear, 5th, and took the lead and kept it I should of taken a picture of his face. M3s, RS4s dont stand a chance.

I hope that doesnt sound boastful as i dont mean it to, if i wanted to i would of put a thread up about it. I just wanted to show my experience of how quick the car is
No no, brag away, these sort of stories will convert me! What BHP is yours running? I thought turbo'd R32's ended up being about as qwick as an RS4 but from the sounds of it they are 966 turbo pace.

·
777 Posts
I am very interested to see where this goes, and to see your Car once you get this done Wayne. I love the R32, wanna keep it forever! :xD

In a few yrs may look into this, hopefully there will have been a bit more development into turbos on the R32 and more people running them so more info/help for me if I consider to go down this route.

Could get another car as a runabout to do the miles and keep the sleeper 400bhp R32 for special occasions....

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
psg001 said:
I am very interested to see where this goes, and to see your Car once you get this done Wayne. I love the R32, wanna keep it forever! :xD

In a few yrs may look into this, hopefully there will have been a bit more development into turbos on the R32 and more people running them so more info/help for me if I consider to go down this route.

Could get another car as a runabout to do the miles and keep the sleeper 400bhp R32 for special occasions....
wanna buy my polo ? hahaha

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.