VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I know that this isn't car related topic but anyway I would like to know if there is a way to get rid off TV adds.

I do have SKY TV and would like to get rid of all adds.
I do pay for TV and not adds so why do I have them(rhetorical question) ?
Can I demand from SKY to turn them off ? Is there any device I can connect to SKY box to block them ?

I'm just fed up to be turning SKY box off every 8-10 minutes and turning it on after 7min and 30sec.
I have tried to search through Google but no luck

Thanks

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
The only think you can do is record what you want and then fast forward through the ads, adverts create revenue and lots of it for the channel so even if they could turn them off they ain't gonna tell you

·
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only think you can do is record what you want and then fast forward through the ads, adverts create revenue and lots of it for the channel so even if they could turn them off they ain't gonna tell you
Aaaaaah no

What is bothering me is the fact that I pay for them channels. If I buy car I can drive it where ever I want, if I buy playstation I can play when ever I want. I pay for my mobile and I'm not forced to make phone calls by anyone. So why we have to be subjected to simple minded adverts coming from tv if we pay them for watching shows ?
Isn't there any legal thing which can be done ?

Can you imagine to become billionaire overnight ? All what is needed is to develop the plug and play box for blocking adds

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
SVK said:
Aaaaaah no

What is bothering me is the fact that I pay for them channels. If I buy car I can drive it where ever I want, if I buy playstation I can play when ever I want. I pay for my mobile and I'm not forced to make phone calls by anyone. So why we have to be subjected to simple minded adverts coming from tv if we pay them for watching shows ?
Isn't there any legal thing which can be done ?

Can you imagine to become billionaire overnight ? All what is needed is to develop the plug and play box for blocking adds
What would you watch instead of the ads because unless you can fill the gap by bringing it in from the future your gonna have to watch something unrelated anyway?

·
993 Posts
What would you watch instead of the ads because unless you can fill the gap by bringing it in from the future your gonna have to watch something unrelated anyway?
Let say that I'm on the channel 520 and add starts. I would like to be able to set the box to automatically switch to some music channel or news channel and once add is over on 520 automatically switch back

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
SVK said:
Let say that I'm on the channel 520 and add starts. I would like to be able to set the box to automatically switch to some music channel or news channel and once add is over on 520 automatically switch back
Ill ring Peter jones

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
SVK said:
You do that please lol
(I have no clue who is that man)
He is an entrepreneur from Dragons Den, most countries have their own spin off with a ludicrous name.

All jokes aside, id like to skip adverts also

·
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is an entrepreneur from Dragons Den, most countries have their own spin off with a ludicrous name.

All jokes aside, id like to skip adverts also
Good starting point

SKY is crafty - adds are running nearly at the same time on all Discovery channels 520-554 so even if I try to change somewhere else there are adds. That's the point when I'm going ballistic

Show starts at 20:00 and first 5 minutes they recap what happened in the last episode than you have 2 minutes from a new show and BANG 7m:30sec long add. We can sit 60 min at the front of TV and from that time you have nearly 30min of adds.

I'm paying for the show not adds ffs. There have to be something we can do about it. Beside smashing TV of course lol

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
It's used to be every 15mins was 3 mins, and the programmes where 48mins. Now you can get through a supposed hour long programme in well under 40!!

·
719 Posts
This is why I refuse to pay for sky
Simples

·
587 Posts
I think the adverts might be in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you sign up with Sky?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, there is a government body called OFCOM and one of their rules is that a channel is only allowed to broadcast 9 mins an hour of advertising. With each break no longer than three minutes long , with the exception of live sporting events. So effectively on average three breaks an hour. Sky run their three breaks at roughly the same minutes past each hour so if you are channel hopping during an ad break you are likely to see ads on another channel at that time!

Advertising funds programming, programme making is very expensive and needs to be paid for by advertising or sponsorship, plus most of your subs go towards securing the programmes you like.

The BBC manages to run without advertising as the TV Licence fee and taxes pay for their programming.

It can be a ball ache at times but I believe this is more to do with the quality of the ads.

·
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, there is a government body called OFCOM and one of their rules is that a channel is only allowed to broadcast 9 mins an hour of advertising. With each break no longer than three minutes long , with the exception of live sporting events. So effectively on average three breaks an hour. Sky run their three breaks at roughly the same minutes past each hour so if you are channel hopping during an ad break you are likely to see ads on another channel at that time!

Advertising funds programming, programme making is very expensive and needs to be paid for by advertising or sponsorship, plus most of your subs go towards securing the programmes you like.

The BBC manages to run without advertising as the TV Licence fee and taxes pay for their programming.

It can be a ball ache at times but I believe this is more to do with the quality of the ads.
I have certainly made a mistake in my calculation. But I'm sure that SKY ads are longer than 3min.
But what about "show coming next" or "watch this next week" is this counted as add or only products are counted as adds ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have certainly made a mistake in my calculation. But I'm sure that SKY ads are longer than 3min.
But what about "show coming next" or "watch this next week" is this counted as add or only products are counted as adds ?
These are promos so no it's not classed as advertising!

·
133 Posts
This doesn't really have anything to do with SKY, unless it is a channel actually run by SKY. Things like Discovery are their own entity and are solely broadcast through the SKY network. When you pay for SKY, you are paying them to broadcast these channels to your house, you are not funding each channel. Although I am sure each channel gets a cut from SKY (they may even pay SKY), they still need revenue to continue making programs, a lot of which comes from the advertising.

Having said all that, I could be making all that up. But I think that's how it works. If you don't like it, don't pay for it. The only way they will change how they run things is if they stop having people pay for their service, otherwise they have no incentive. Instead, pay for things like Netflix where you can watch what you like, when you like, without ad-breaks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This doesn't really have anything to do with SKY, unless it is a channel actually run by SKY. Things like Discovery are their own entity and are solely broadcast through the SKY network. When you pay for SKY, you are paying them to broadcast these channels to your house, you are not funding each channel. Although I am sure each channel gets a cut from SKY (they may even pay SKY), they still need revenue to continue making programs, a lot of which comes from the advertising.

Having said all that, I could be making all that up. But I think that's how it works. If you don't like it, don't pay for it. The only way they will change how they run things is if they stop having people pay for their service, otherwise they have no incentive. Instead, pay for things like Netflix where you can watch what you like, when you like, without ad-breaks.
Correct mate, People like Discovery, Viacom (MTV) pay Sky substantial amounts of cash to take Sky's satellite bandwidth

1 - 20 of 32 Posts