VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
19,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up that on Sunday 14th July at 9pm on BBC 2, there is a program on the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. It's on straight after Top Gear.

Repeated on Tuesday 16th July at 11:20pm, again on BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0377tb1

·
313 Posts
Thanks for that, Bob. Seems to be quite a few articles on the duo at the moment, in the run up to the 'Rush' movie. I'm off to set the Sky+ .........

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Looking forward to this!

·
19,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to add that straight after this at 10pm "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" is on BBC4.

It's been on a few times and if you haven't seen it before it's worth a watch.

·
2,665 Posts
Look forward to it over last of the summer wine / top gear.

·
2,204 Posts
I finally got round to watching Senna over the weekend, so it was good to top that up with the other 2 F1 programs last night too.

Having minimal interest in F1, I can summarise it all in my own head as:

Senna and Hunt were cavalier drama queens who flouted the rules to get what they wanted, but only in death does such behaviour become idolised. Good drivers, but they had no time for politics or the rules.

Prost and Lauda knew how to play the corporate system to their advantage but had more consistent driving skill and a healthy respect for their lives.

And Ferrari, always getting their way because of people are afraid of them. "Illegal fuel" in Hunt's car. Yeah, what ever. Corruptness is everywhere. Always has been, always will be.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have Senna on BluRay and watched the doc yesterday evening. I believe Hunt got his title through arrogance, determination and self belief not so much full on driver skill.

But I don't agree with you on Senna, he had the touch. Undoubtedly one of the best of the best. Amazing what Lauda did that 'ear though, absolutely amazing.

Disclaimer: All my opinions are formed of secondhand information and is therefore heavily prone to bias.

·
2,204 Posts
Yeah 'Hunt the Shunt' was reckless to begin with but when he concentrated on the task at hand, he could win races, but he won the championship once compared to Lauda's 3 or 4 wins.

Sure, Senna was talented in a late braking and barging his way through kind of way for sure, but he was a drama queen with it. I mean, the whole crying thing when he won at Brazil, "don't touch me! don't touch me!!" and struggling to lift the trophy, what was that all about?. There were other talented drivers around at the time, such as Rene Arnoux and Gilles Villenueve, but all the focus was on the battle between Senna and Prost.

I just found the whole Senna DVD thing so over hyped. I really didn't see what the fuss was about after I watched it.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Yeah from what I can make out retrospectively, James Hunt was a one hit wonder. I'm interested to hear more about his extra-curricular activities though! haha

I wasn't by any means into F1 before about 2008 so my knowledge is lacking. But isn't the reason he couldnt lift the trophy because his car was stuck in 6th and he still managed to wrestle it accross the line for the win?! And we all know those Brazilians are a passionate bunch. He did do a lot of good for his country, at the time and posthumously. But alas any production like this is going to over sensationalise, so perhaps the hype surrounding the film is the issue for you here.

·
2,204 Posts
Hunt is the only F1 racer that I'm old enough to remember who wasn't afraid to party very publically! I bet many of his races were done under the influence, lol!

Yeah maybe. He was a great driver and it was his passion, not taking that away from him. He / his family was already rich enough to do anything he wanted, but chose to race, even though jealous rivals kept f'cking him over with the anal rules! I just found the trophy thing a bit hammed up tbh, but if he was genuinely fatigued, then fair enough.

A bit different to current drivers leaping out of their cars and holding massive bottles of champers and trophies above their heads isn't it?!! Does this mean modern cars are easier to drive? Ooooh the controversy

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Some of the stories I have heard recently, yeah I would say he drove some races a little bit juiced up. Not to mention banging complete plane loads of air hostesses. Apparently he used to get to work with the ladies minutes before races.

Surprised the man like Bob hasn't come in with his memories/thoughts on Senna yet. I respect Senna a lot but like I said I wasn't there to make my own informed decision. Which is a shame haha

Yeah I think F1 has changed unrecognisably hasn't it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts