VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
good luck to you......
well done for doing something like that, i could probably run a mile and burn my lungs out!!

·
4,420 Posts
nice one, i couldnt do that im too lazy, you'll be sore tonight lol

·
119 Posts
Well done you two, got my 1st marathon coming up in September. Let us know your experiences!

Chris

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the messages folks!! The day was brilliant and the weather just got better and better as the day went on.

Only downside for me was somehow picking up a tendon injury in both feet yesterday so from mile 1 was in ever increasing pain and mentally just such a tough run - but we both ran together and both finished - took 5h 05m.

I can now finally have a beer after a self imposed ban on alcohol since NYE!!!

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anonymouse said:
Well done you two, got my 1st marathon coming up in September. Let us know your experiences!

Chris
The day was great (other than my injury) - this was our first ever marathon and we never really anticipated how much commitment (4 long months!) would be required to train for it.

Advice for you training would be:
1. Join a run club that dedicates a marathon training plan or that at least has regular long runs - its keeps you on track.
2. Always stay hydrated, drink little and often.
3. Rehydrate after long runs, something like "For Goodness Shakes" is great

Advice for race day
1. Get as many people down to support you - it does make such a difference
2. Drink water little and often
3. Take Ibroprofen with you!!
4. Don't start too fast
5. Try and run with a friend/partner - it will help if you/they struggle at any point
6. Have a bag full of crisps and chocolate bars for after the race

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Respect for doing it, I know what serious training's like. But I've never done a Marathon because of the long and short term health risks on the heart

Good advice about drinking little fluid. It's much easier to over hydrate than to under hydrate. In fact no ones ever died of dehydration in a marathon yet many have died from over hydration. Nothing that can be done about the permanent damage Marathons have on the heart or the short term possibility of cardiac arrest though

Sad to hear another marathon runner lost their life.

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Moz said:
Just heard the news about a runner collapsing a sadly passing away.

23 year old man, first thing I thought was this forum. Glad to see you made it around.

Horrible news of the young lad from London though.
Yes, just read that tonight - my friend supporting saw the Ambulance crew trying to resuscitate him - very sad and puts my aches and painsof today into perspective.

·
1,230 Posts
well done pal. hope the weather holds up, im working in the grand all this week. i will be enjoying the scenery on the beach at dinner time

1 - 20 of 24 Posts