VW Golf R32 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I have the old style xenons with ballast in the wings. (Mk4 golf)

Does anyone have a picture of how they mount? And which route the ballast wire takes to meet the headlights?

Also which screws are needed to mount them up? Do they have a part number or are a specific type of screw?

I've heard of people mounting the ballast with sticky pads and other such things, but I'd prefer to use the nuts and bolts method if possible.

I've done a search on the forum but couldn't find what I was after.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
795 Posts
They are mounted using expanding studs (like male versions of Rivnuts so RivBolts I guess?) . Its the same items that hold the front Xenon Level bracket to the inner wing. I have some in the drawer - give me ten min to look them out to see if they are still in the bag with the part number.

Just tried uploading some pics for you but my digs internet isn't having it.

Part number for the Rivbolts is N 908 144 02
Nuts look to be shouldered M4 but regardless their PN is N 901 063 04

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for that! Excellent. I can get these from TPS can't i?
Gonna take my arch liner off tomorrow and have a look to see where they could mount.

Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where the heck did you find that picture from lol, I've been searching google for days haha.

Really appreciate your help! Will get them ordered tomorrow, knowing vw they will be the most expensive nuts and bolts I'll ever buy lol

·
Registered
795 Posts
Where the heck did you find that picture from lol, I've been searching google for days haha.

Really appreciate your help! Will get them ordered tomorrow, knowing vw they will be the most expensive nuts and bolts I'll ever buy lol
No worries - glad to be of help. The picture is from ELSAWin which is the SVAG service manual collection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick question, will I need a rivet gun type tool thing to fix these nuts and bolts to the car?
Dont want to take the arches out and realise I don't have the tools to do the job lol.

Ordered the bolts from tps to pick up tomorrow.

TIA

·
Registered
795 Posts
No need for any other tools. Pierce the seam sealer as it will be covering the three holes (per bracket). Push the hex side of the rivbolt into the hole flush and then hold it in place with the ballast bracket. What you then do is stick a nut on and wind it down which will pull the insert rivetty type bit down on the inside of the chassis thereby securing it to the chassis. Just make sure you have the insert shoved fully home all the time you wind the nut down and you can't go far wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey! Not great since my trolley jack was leaking fluid and wouldn't lift the car.. Then it started raining when I toke the standard jack out the boot!

Will hopefully get round to it this weekend, don't really like using the standard jack as I know it's rubbish.

I'll take plenty of pictures when I get round to it, for the benefit of anyone else wondering how to fix them using the OEM method.

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pictures as promised, only done the left side of the car..
There was only two mounting holes for rivnuts under the arch..

As you can see from my grotty finger, there was no hole for the other side of the ballast arm

I hope the weather is ok tomorrow so I get the other side done!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did abit but it seemed fairly ridged.. When I get round to doing the otherwise, will see if there are 3 holes on that side.. If so I'll have another look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't like leaving threads unfinished..

The other side only had two holes for the ballast mounting too..

Anyway I tightened them up good and well so they don't move about..

Finished by fitting my anni style xenons on Sunday, toke a long time to mod the lights, but since I fitted them to my anni, they had to look like this.. Happy days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bringing this one back to ask a question..

Just got home now and was thinking, I fitted these xenons to a non-xenon car..
Will I need to get the alignment sorted through vagcom at some point? Or can this only be done on factory fitted xenon cars?

I'd like to make sure I'm not blinding anyone/missing out on more visibility!

TIA

·
Registered
795 Posts
Only required if you have went to the pain of fitting the auto levelling gear otherwise its just a manual adjustment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts