VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been on to my insurers (Admiral) trying to negotiate a better deal. They were running over my policy details and when i told them i had a speeding fine from december 05, they said they had no record of it. I am certain that i contacted them at the point of renewal, but i have been with them for a few years and so i haven't checked my old policies to make sure it was on, just got it through the post and put it in my file.
What can they do?
Think they are talking of backdating this and getting me to pay the extra, can they do this?
They are currently investigating this and are going to ring me back
Any ideas?

·
2,808 Posts
Dont think they can back date it.
Iv had a similar thing with my insurance. I got done for speeding twice in the same day (gutted), got 6 points and thay put me down as getting caught ONCE and recieving 6points for it. When I renewed and they asked me if I had any convictions and I said 2. They just changed it tho. Didnt charge me anymore. Im with elephant which is the same as admiral.

·
3,732 Posts
you cant be charged for previous policy flaws, thats their admin at fault.

as long as your current policy is up to date they can only charge from this point forward or from when you currently active policy started

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's got me thinking now if i did call them, couldn't honestly say with it being a couple of years ago. Every quote i've ever done online or by the phone i always add it, even done quotes on elephant which like you say is their sister company

·
3,732 Posts
wether you let them know at the time or not mate its all water under the bridge, technically its slightly fraudulent and would void your policy if you made a claim and didnt declare it but now its past that point its only the current policy and the duration of 12 months that comes into play.

even then they cant backdate it to when the policy started merely charge you the extra for the time remaining until your next renewal

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My renewal is due on the 15th of this month. Not made a claim other than just having my window replaced this week.
God i hate insurance companies, wish i'd never bloody rang them now and just shifted to Greenlight.
How sure are you of this VC? Sat here worrying now

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
im leaving elephant to go with greenlight as of the £30th nov best thing you can do mate! saving me enuf ££.

if your renewall is tomo u should av had ur renewal thru about 3weeks ago from elephant. just cancell with them send back your certificate of insurance and keep the proof of NCB then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. just call greenlight to activate ur policy! thats all im going to do.

·
3,732 Posts
what are you worried about, them back charging you? they cant mate!

if your moving your policy your time with them is done, all they can do is update and charge you for time remaining. if your moving from them theres absolutely nothing they can do

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to update you, did some digging and it appeared that they were within their rights to ask for backdated monies. After numerous phonecalls and to Admiral on my behalf, with a lack of recontact as promised i finally asked to speak to a manager.
Can you believe having added my three points for the past two years/two policies they reckoned i owed them an extra £688! YES THAT WAS £688!!!!!!!:wtf:
That means my three points added an extra £344 a year to a policy that was near as damn it to £1000. This was obviously ridiculous, but decided to go down the being as polite as possible route as i knew there was a good chance they would be within their rights to demand the money. Manager seemed reasonable and took the case on board. She did some digging and finally came back saying she would half the money owed. I told her this still wasn't good enough and pleaded my case a litttle more (think it helped that she was able to see my speeding conviction was showing on my partners policy). Long story short, dropped it to £200. Still rubbish but £100 for each year is a bit more acceptable!
As you can imagine i've not renewed with them, i'm 26, 5 years ncb, 3 points! and they quoted £1200! Greenlight came in at half this, think you can guess the rest

Ben

·
286 Posts
Wow, i'm sure they can't do this to you. I'm with adrian flux, just got a speeding fine, phoned them to tell them and they weren't interested, just said "i'll make a note of it but it only affects price come renewal", asked me to send a copy of my licience in recorded post if i was worried.
As for greenlight, well they've never been the cheepest for me. 26yo 8NCB 3points fault claim 2005. And they kindly made me tell them all of my details, for about 15 mins of my life, only to tell me that "We don't insuuw people from Wawles!" Fooking arragant southern cnuts!!
I hate insurance too!

·
267 Posts
Greenlight for me too ,
after seeing the posts about listing all mods/future mods did a " go compare" and without mods around £500 full comp , with mods on + future mods £1000 !

Current company is directline they have just given me a renewal figure off 1k ( unmodded) so tried green light with CAI , Uprated brakes + future mods of cat back exhaust + remap = £672 , sorted .....

no one else can touch them , they said i can get trackday cover through them too , nice ...:rock:

sp

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sp1boyo said:
Greenlight for me too ,
after seeing the posts about listing all mods/future mods did a " go compare" and without mods around £500 full comp , with mods on + future mods £1000 !

Current company is directline they have just given me a renewal figure off 1k ( unmodded) so tried green light with CAI , Uprated brakes + future mods of cat back exhaust + remap = £672 , sorted .....

no one else can touch them , they said i can get trackday cover through them too , nice ...:rock:

sp
Seems like a really good company, next closest was Adrian Flux and they were £200 more. Filled in a quick form e-mailed it off and almost immediately got a reply with a quality quote. Rang up, added my girlfriend to it at no extra cost, gave them my card details and job done.
Think the only complaints i've heard about them are about the fact they don't insure people in certain areas. As this doesn't affect me, i've had no problem with them. Full details about them can be found on UKMKIV's website.
Definitely would recommend giving them a whirl, big savings to be had! :rock:

·
3,732 Posts
i found flux to be quite pricey, im just running out the last few weeks with norwich 'steal all your money' union direct then i'm packing my bags and moving to greenlight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts