VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,420 Posts
id say its the diff, and am i right in thinking to stop leaks like this you might need a new gasket, i have the same problem

·
4,420 Posts
also i assume its at the front?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it was at the front left hand side. Two of the bolts holes appeared to have a little bit of metal corroded or broken off them where the bolts seat. Also the five bolts that I nipped up along the bottom weren't that tight.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm thinking maybe it's had a limited slip diff or something or the clutch replaced and not had the bolts torqued up. It's had loads of chassis stuff done so its possible and it's done 140,000 miles so I'd imagine the clutch has been done!

·
556 Posts
Is it gear oil or engine oil..? There is a distinctive difference in smell. If its engine oil, it maybe the upper timing chain cover leaking & running down around the box?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a sign of dampness on the side of the engine. I cleaned and de greased it all away the other day so I'll have a look again this weekend and see if I can see where it's coming from.

·
2,204 Posts
Is it gear oil or engine oil..? There is a distinctive difference in smell. If its engine oil, it maybe the upper timing chain cover leaking & running down around the box?
Yep! Gear oil stinks!

Judging by the drip forming on the drain plug, I'd say it's gear oil on first glance.

And yep, the timing cover joint is a classic for leaking. They all sweat a bit of oil out from there.

·
556 Posts
Found the source today. It's on a blanking plug seen below:

View attachment 12792
Dam! I should have thought of that one!!! As I had same issue on mine 4 years ago! Still at least you found it.. It's the plug cap to the lower front driver side of box yea? The rubber coating decays with road grit (salt) & eventually eats its way through the metal plug itself.. Look at the bright side, you now have to do a gearbox oil change, so you'll have nice clean gear oil giving you slightly smother gear change.. ????

·
556 Posts
It's on the passenger side of the box right near the bottom. Was yours the same?
Yea mate it was... Sorry I meant passenger side, note driver side derrrr! Ha!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts