VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question... As above, just wondered if using WD40 to clean the inside of the alloys and on the calipers is safe and not going to fade the paint, damage the brakes etc?? Baring in mind my alloys are black not silver

Thankyou!

·
449 Posts
I personally wouldn't use it near the brakes, as it will get on your discs and pads and will have a big negative affect on breaking until it manages to burns it off.

·
206 Posts
I would ideally go for a dedicated wheel cleaner, WD40 is a spray cleaner/lubricant, I wouldnt want to get this on the brakes at all. It will leave some residue of grease on the wheel.

For inside of the wheels i would use something like bilberry neat or iron x for the tougher deposits. For the brake calipers use a dedicated carb cleaner or brake cleaner aerosol.

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, I read about using WD40 on here a while ago so guess everyone has different opinions

Didn't think it sounded healthy using it near the brakes though!

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
I'd personally use a specific cleaning product rather than WD40. I've never in my life seen a girl clean a car. Are you doing the cleaning yourself???

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahahaa I clean it every weekend! Even got my own DA lol
Love cleaning, I am a woman remember
.. just cleaning a car is obviously rare!

Reactions: DougalR and L_O_Z

·
5,496 Posts
WD40 has about 3million uses - google it for a laugh.

Some people say it's good for removing tar spots, but seriously, I wouldn't dare use it on the wheels or brakes for safety issues. It 100% won't harm the paint on the wheels or body though, it's nothing more than an oily water repellent

·
2,204 Posts
Spraying it on the wheel when it's off the car and wiping the caliper with a cloth 'moistened' with WD is fine. Just keep it well away from the pads as it'll soak into them!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
WD40 has about 3million uses - google it for a laugh.

Some people say it's good for removing tar spots, but seriously, I wouldn't dare use it on the wheels or brakes for safety issues. It 100% won't harm the paint on the wheels or body though, it's nothing more than an oily water repellent
I always wondered, I was always told never to use it on paint as it acts as a solvent but its not solvent/alcohol based?

·
5,496 Posts
There are much better things to use for tar spots tbh, dedicated tar and glue remover like TARDIS from autosmart is awesome. WD40 probably best left for loosening stubborn boot lock/key cylinders and general stuff like that.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
There are much better things to use for tar spots tbh, dedicated tar and glue remover like TARDIS from autosmart is awesome. WD40 probably best left for loosening stubborn boot lock/key cylinders and general stuff like that.
that's 3 uses just 2,999,997 to go

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Andy G said:
wd40 is good for cleaning pvcu woodgrian / rosewood or oak wood windows and doors ( my tip of the day )
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Andy G said:
wd40 is good for cleaning pvcu woodgrian / rosewood or oak wood windows and doors ( my tip of the day )
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I bought some Bilberry Wheel Cleaner and this was my attempt. .. not happy with the bottom though seems permanent

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
ive seen girls cleaning cars nout special about that but cleaning the backs of wheels and brake calipers now were talking
Michelle is one of the rare few of women dude

Looks like the paint has flaked off there Michelle

Reactions: Michelle
1 - 20 of 22 Posts