VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought this was pretty impressive so here goes....

Switched from a diesel A3 to the R32 at the end of March this year so thought going from 45-50 mpg down to 20-25mpg was gonna be tough. I didnt buy the car for economy of course, I bought it to enjoy driving again. Well, i've been enjoying the car and when I can put my foot down have been and driving it quite normally the rest of the time. I've been fairly impressed with the mileage I got out of the car to be honest, but today has taken the biscuit.

I usually get 310-330 miles per tank when the refil light flicks on. I believe this means there is 7-8 litres left in the tank (62 litre capacity). I drive 140 motorway miles a week and the rest on my work commute which is a cruise at 30-40 mph most of the way 12 miles each way to work. Also have ECON mode on the climate as its not hot enough to need air con.

Today I got 360 miles to the tank and the refill light just flicked on. I cant believe that! Like I said I've not been hammering it much, but have given it some boot at times. Filled up and it ate 56 litres of petrol so prob mean 6 litres in the tank. I reckon if I drove like a granny (some may think I already am) I could squeeze 400 out of a tank!!!

Wonder how far it can go?! Anyway, maybe this is a totally boring post, but wondered what the most you guys have got out of a tank in the .:R???

maybe I could do some official testing for the goverment and they could take it easy on us w.r.t roadtax (know its on CO2 emissions) but hell if it can do 400 miles a tank shouldnt be max bracket!!!

·
2,808 Posts
Iv never filled my R32 up! Never! I only ever put 30quid max in it, am I weird or what?
Get about 17mpg out of it which is fookin terrible.

·
402 Posts
impressive that you can get that mpg out of your R.....I live in a city centre and it rarely strays out of the teens! (although my right foot is made of lead)

G

·
Very impressive - you're obviously not trying hard enough :xD:xD

Mine has been averaging 24.3 or so for the last 5000 miles since I had my cams put in.

·
199 Posts
The most i have ever had out of mine was 31.5 mpg which i was amazed at as i have a fairly heavy right foot, i was doing a lot of motorway driving that day though and have never managed to get it anywhere near that again. Usually hovers around the 26/27 mark unless i am making fair progress.

·
371 Posts
On a good motoway drive i can get 31 miles to the gallon but thats only doing about 80 mph ish. In the main however i get about 24 to the gallon which isnt that bad really for a 3.2..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I filled up after going down to the family home in Malvern, and computer said 340 miles range. Usually I have between 310 and 320 miles range. Motorway driving is definately the way to go! Normal MPG is 24 to 28.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
When i took the rents to gatwick a few weeks back, which is about a 275 mile round trip i got an average of 33.8, but that was seriously driving like a granny no going over 70 unless i was overtaking and a couple of 50 limits on the m4 and 60 limits on the m25. I don't think i'll ever see that again, it was seriously boring. When i picked them up i was going a little quicker and had a much more interesting drive and i got 26mpg.

·
287 Posts
The last £65 worth of fuel put I've put in has given me 210 miles, how do people have the restraint to not put their foot down whenever they can? Please teach me, my wallet looks like an Ethiopian orphan!

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are a LOT of speeding cameras on my way to work so you really cant go over 30-40mph or you will be snapped. Guess that helps. I do like to take detours on occasion on the way back from work, there are a couple of great B roads I can really open the car up on.

was cruising on the motorway yesterday at night, unlit section. Had cruise on at 75 and was minding my own business. This police car cruises past me at about 85. I didnt even know he was a copper, no real way to know as just looked like a pair of headlights in my rear view mirror, no other light to reflect his blue/yellow stripes and give him away. Made me think, could easily have been cruising at 80-85 and drawn his attention!:eek:

·
132 Posts
I went to Santa Pod again last weekend to Big Bang. Had a great weekend. On the way up I followed my mate in his Bay Window panel van. It's not the fastest but by the time I got there I'd managed 36.6mpg on average on the way!! Never thought it possible. That's what a constant 55mph will give you. Can't say I'd drive like it again as I nearly fell asleep :)

Here's a pic after about 50miles...

·
345 Posts
psg001 said:
I average about 280 miles per tank. On a few motorway journeys with V power I have been up to 33mpg - was going to attempt to take a photo as was so surprised!

O/T how do I get that CD/ Track number display on my dash?

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AdsR said:
O/T how do I get that CD/ Track number display on my dash?
thats how the car came, its got factory sat nav and cd-changer. Thought everyones would do that in the DIS.. Maybe a VAGCOM?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts