VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morning all , i'm new to the forum so sorry if this is in wrong section,

i'm currently looking for a low mileage MK5 R32 , and i've found one that fits the bill at garage .

only problem , or not ,is it's a jap import , and i have no knowledge on pit falls regarding buying an imported car, like can i confirm history , and things like that ,

any help would be greatly appreciated ,

·
330 Posts
Hi, firstly, welcome. About jap imports, like all 2nd hand cars, a lot can depend on the dealer you by from. Some are great at changing everything like the jap radio or getting a translation of service history, others are not. It's unlikely you will ever be able to totally verify the mileage, but that is not an issue solely to imports.
Like all cars, I would buy on condition reflecting the mileage, do the seats, pedals and wheel, look as worn as the mileage shows?
The other thing to bear in mind with imports, is that rightly or wrongly they are/should be cheaper than the equivalent UK car. A lot of the market is leery of them for whatever reason, which is why they are cheaper. Good luck in your search, ask away on any further questions, most on here are a helpful bunch!

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
805 Posts
Hi, firstly, welcome. About jap imports, like all 2nd hand cars, a lot can depend on the dealer you by from. Some are great at changing everything like the jap radio or getting a translation of service history, others are not. It's unlikely you will ever be able to totally verify the mileage, but that is not an issue solely to imports.
Like all cars, I would buy on condition reflecting the mileage, do the seats, pedals and wheel, look as worn as the mileage shows?
The other thing to bear in mind with imports, is that rightly or wrongly they are/should be cheaper than the equivalent UK car. A lot of the market is leery of them for whatever reason, which is why they are cheaper. Good luck in your search, ask away on any further questions, most on here are a helpful bunch!
Welcome . Before buying mine I looked long and hard at several Japanese imported cars . The ones I saw were all in excellent condition, low mileage and very good value , but I had set my heart on a 3 door and all the imported ones I saw were five. I believe that that the ones made in Germany for the Japanese market were all five door, but I could be in error. Anyway, with that caveat , and the advice about both the car and the supplier , I am sure you will be able to find a really good one .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks , i'm on the hunt now , so fingers crossed pics won't be long , i want 5 door so thats not a problem , would like blue , under 50k miles and being really picky i would prefer low tax but that's not a deal breaker ,

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not an import expert but from my understanding the Japanese imports tend to be rust free, low miles or legally have to be as good as rebuilt at 50k miles but difficult to actually understand any documentation and a bit more expensive to insure.

1 - 8 of 7 Posts