VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Jeremy Clarkson escapes speeding rap

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  NyseriA 
#1 ·
Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been acquitted of a motoring offence after an intervention by his solicitor, celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman.

Mr Clarkson was accused of failing to name the driver on a speeding ticket, but the case was dropped before it even began.

Mr Freeman, dubbed "Mr Loophole" for his ability to find problems with seemingly straightforward cases against his celebrity clients, said the case was "fatally flawed".

Mr Clarkson was sent a speeding ticket by car company Alfa Romeo, who said he had been loaned a car caught by a speed camera.

The Alfa Romeo Brera V6 was snapped travelling at 82mph in a 50mph zone on the A40 in Ruislip, west London, on October 16 last year.

As the case, at City of London Magistrates' Court, Crown Prosecution Service lawyer Michael Atkinson asked to be excused to make a phone call following an animated conversation with Mr Freeman.

He returned later and told the court: "No evidence is to be offered in relation to the case."

Chairman of the Bench John Newgas then dismissed the case.

Speaking outside court, Mr Freeman said: "The summons was fatally flawed. They (Alfa Romeo) did not have any information as to who the driver was. They only had information as to who the car was loaned to. The form wasn't completed correctly."

Mr Freeman said the end of the case was an enormous weight off Mr Clarkson's mind. Mr Clarkson - who lives in Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire - was not present in court and was awarded costs.

:girl:

See less See more
#6 ·
i love clarkson. I really do. But it does annoy me that any normal person would be totally rubber ducked.

Still... any normal person that could afford it would get this Nick chap to help out.

The costs bit is a bit crap. I know everyone hates this, but who paid for clarkson to speed, get away with it and be awarded costs?! Tax payers i guess. <-- i know everyone hates that...

I just wonder what that money would have paid for if clarky (who i would assume doesnt need it) hadnt got it. Maybe fill a pot hole and save a few of the R drivers on here who have recently been stung by them?

Just playing devils advocate.

#9 ·
my brother recently used this guy when he was accused of doing 100mph in a 50 (was on the motorway). I duno how much he ended up paying the guy and he wont say but I saw numerous bills for £600 a piece.

He got him off in the end though. I think it was along the lines that as the owner of a company if my brother lost his license then it would have a knock on effect to numerous employees.

#10 ·
JezzaR32 said:
The costs bit is a bit crap. I know everyone hates this, but who paid for clarkson to speed, get away with it and be awarded costs?! Tax payers i guess. <-- i know everyone hates that...
The tax payers won't have paid a penny.

Clarkson was the defendant and Alfa Romeo were the pursuers.

Alfa Romeo would of paid the court costs for their part and if Clarkson was awarded expenses in his favour they would have to pay any costs incurred by him also such as his high flying lawyer.

David.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.