VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just upgraded from a Mk4 Gti 1.8t to a Mk4 2003 R32...

So tell me, what can I do to it?

I had the experience of a Revo on my Gti, can I do it again or is APR better...

...what other performance upgrades can I do?

I don't want to mess with the looks, as we all know it looks great except perhaps the leon front splitter?

Give it to me!

Cheers, look forward to hearing from you all

·
5,616 Posts
Millteks... cat back, cats, manifold

cams

Cold air intake

supercharger or turbo

haldex upgrade

... the list could go on, i think.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Any first thoughts comparing the 2 cars? loving the V6 sound surely? :D

·
3,732 Posts
welcome to the site :ciao:

ive still got my 1.8t gti, when i get back into it its just bizarre, turning circle is huge, gear changes are massive lol but love it still

your gunna adour the R

basic first mods if you follow the trends are cold air intake such as carbonio, flapper mod (free) or milltek zorst and a revo remap.... and thats for starters

also worth checking to see if your car has had the anti hesitation update which also takes the car from factory 241bhp to the 250bhp, commonly called on here the 6463 update

:beerglass:

·
1,432 Posts
Maybe we should have a thread which covers the R32 FAQ such as the following because they are being asked with increasing regularity recently:

1) What can I do to attain xBHP
2) What mods can I do and what are the benefits of those mods
3) What should a buyer look out for in an R32 ie has it had the 6463 update

Vintage Geek, until such time as we are able to create the above I suggest you browse the forum specifically the forced induction and performance sections.

In the meantime here is a quick list of first mods which most owners start off with:

1) Air intake such as Carbonio or EVO MS
2) Exhaust such as Milltek or Supersprint
3) Remap ie Revo

G

·
Firstly, hello & welcome to the site!

We did carbonio & blue flame exhaust! Awesome combination!

Would love to get 'charged too!

The bonus of here is that most people have different mod's so you can get some very good comparisons!

Enjoy!

G

·
Lets not forget that REVo aren't the only company that offers remaps.

Thre are a few AmD, REVO, APR, APS, Custom Code and a few others :151:

·
110 Posts
Very Cherry said:
welcome to the site :ciao:

............factory 241bhp to the 250bhp, commonly called on here the 6463 update

:beerglass:
I know its picky and i really should resist, but the factory output was 237hp and the 6463 upgrade is "muted" in certain circles, to up the HP by around 8hp to 245 (I will happily get my coat if required !!!) :driver:

·
1,184 Posts
Just booked my new .:R acquisition (May) in for its' first mod, seemingly one of the most common. Bring on the Milltek cat-back...and then bring on windows down and the long tunnels! Welcome to the forum mate.

·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Have been scouting about and reading up about the Carbonio CAI and Miltek exhausts...both looking very good and will be added when funds become available. Also a remap as I know this was well worth it on the Gti.

How will I know if I've had the 6463 update? Will it state in the service book? Also, is this the update that the dealer should undertake FOC or is it chargeable?

Cheers guys

·
1,432 Posts
We believed up until recently that it was possible to find out if you have had the 6463 update by pressing a series of buttons on the air con system but it turns out this is likely false.

The only sure way to find out if you have had it is to ask your dealer to check, if your MkIV R is still under warranty then it should be done FOC by your dealer but if it has run out of warranty it seems to cost around £90. This really depends on the dealer as some may do it FOC regardless of whether your R is still under warranty, its a bit hit and miss as some dealers are aware of the issue and will do it without question whereas others dont have a clue what we are asking of them when we mention the 6463 update.

So, conclusion: pop into your local dealer or call them and ask if they would be so kind as to check whethr your R32 has had the update or not and if not could they do it!

·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm picking it up from the dealer on Saturday (hopefully sooner) so I will ask them about it when I pop in to give them my cover note during the week. It's coming to me with 12 months warranty but not sure if that issue will be included?

Can't wait to get it though, been reading loads on the forum and just keep getting more and more excited! Especially as they given me a Golf Plus 1.9tdi to drive around in this week (which I'm hating every minute of) so it will feel an emmence difference when I do actually get in the R :driver:

Thanks

·
4,328 Posts
Hiya and welcome to the site :cheers: i would try and find someone with vagcom to do it, but you should be able to get the gargae to look and do it for free becuase of the vw 30 day guarantee if bought from vw dealer.

·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just spoken to my dealer, they are aware of the software update, they are going to check my car before I go to pick it up and if it hasn't been done they are willing to do it FOC. Quality! :)

Thanks for that piece of info otherwise I'd have been none the wiser.

·
4,328 Posts
Cool glad its all going to be sorted for you.

May be worth checking though if you know someone with vagcom to check the dealers have done it tho.

·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pomme said:
Cool glad its all going to be sorted for you.

May be worth checking though if you know someone with vagcom to check the dealers have done it tho.
Was thinking about purchasing the vagcom myself so I will check it out soon after picking it up.

Are there any vagcom leads/software bundles that anyone recommends? I've seen a few on the bay but not sure which would be the better one or are they all much the same?

Thanks

G

·
Vintage_Geek said:
Was thinking about purchasing the vagcom myself so I will check it out soon after picking it up.

Are there any vagcom leads/software bundles that anyone recommends? I've seen a few on the bay but not sure which would be the better one or are they all much the same?

Thanks
If you are going to get one - I would recommend you get the 'real' version that Ross tech sell and not one of the copies that are on fleabay. You just missed a group buy on Uk-MKIVs.net - a few of them might be selling. Check it out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts