VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

just tried my Sat nav for the first time today. Gotta say I'm very impressed with it. Have to do house calls as part of my job so I entered in the destination (I had already looked it up on the map as I used to always do) and it took me to the right place by the same route I would have taken. It even comes up with Street names on the DIS and a it counts down distances until turns on the DIS and draws the roundabouts on it telling you how many exits there are and which to take. Its quality :)

Only other sat nav systems I've used are the RNS-E in the audi and Tom Tom. Gotta say although this unit is 4yrs old its really good, as good as they were in terms of route planning and guidance. Anyone else have any comments about the factory Sat Nav (good and bad)??

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Hi, I have a old Tom Tom one and it hated London (Think the signal got bounced back and forth from large buildings)......Turn around when possible,lol.

Finally got it to update, I will have to try it again one day

I'm sure it has saved me time and fuel having a sat nav.(Appart from in Lonon)

·
842 Posts
yeah i agree Priyan

i found it to be pretty damn good...although it took me a little while to get used to how soon 'turn left now' etc was actually in relation to the turning... tom tom and garmins in the past have differed alot

if only the VW one had a 3D view it'd be spot on

·
287 Posts
In terms of functionality I always thought the OEM system lagged behind newer units like Garmin and TomTom, but I just prefer the look of the OEM unit, looks so much more classier.

I never use Sat Nav anyway, it's much more fun getting lost and taking the long route home, especially as I'm always in C.London!

·
697 Posts
i think the vw sat nav is crap
used it 5 times & got the correct destination once
rather use a map or just guess

·
264 Posts
the new RNS 510 has 3D Maps :)

·
842 Posts
yh i thought it would have Manu! lol...tried the new stuff in a Toureg a hwile ago at work and it's much better than the mk4 one...but i guess it is 5 years newer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts