VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Good to finally see a R32 owners club setup :cool:

I'm here to offer help and advice on any R' cleaning and detailing questions/problems you may have.

Jonny

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Jonny @ Pure Detail said:
Hello all,

Good to finally see a R32 owners club setup :cool:

I'm here to offer help and advice on any R' cleaning and detailing questions/problems you may have.

Jonny
Anything that can be done with corroded centre caps ? Or is it best to replace them ?

·
748 Posts
Hi johny I have a few swirls in bright sunlight on my R, the same as what steves did in the photos, I wash and wax my car nearly every week what can cause this?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
swirls are caused by small bits of dirt on your sponge marking the lacquer on the car. This in sunlight causes the swirl effect appearence.

I'll let Jonny explain the how to try keep them to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as macdaddy said.. they can be caused by lots of things; bad washing, dust rubbed on the when dirty, motorway driving etc etc..

To keep them to a minimum you should wash the care with certain basic products:-

2 lambs wool wash mitt
2 Clean Buckets (with grit guards)
Car wash Shampoo (not Fairy Liquid)
Microfibre drying towel

When washing your car you should have 1 bucket full of warm, soapy water and a second bucket of warm clean water with nothing else in it, next spray your car down with a hose or watering can to loosen up the dirt (I usually do this first and then sort the buckets out as it gives the water more time to loosen up the dirt) you can even spray on soap suds if you have a fancy karcher pressure washer.
Once done rinse down and dry with the microfibre drying tool. Then finish by using quick detailer (spray on, wipe off).

This is a very basic way to keep it clean and without adding swirls when washing.

Obvioulsy there is more that can be done, claying, cleansing, polishing etc etc.

If you want to cover the swirls (fill them in) there is a good product called super resin polish by auto glym that has a filler quality to it, which after three coats should fill in most of the swirls to leave a nice finish, which should then be waxed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jonny hope you dont mind me pitching in ....

As Jonny says a 2 bucket method as described above works really well at keeping swirls to a minimum.

The 2 bucket method i use is 2 large buckets with grit guards one filled with a good quality car shampoo (i actually use a combo of 2 shampoos CWAG and 1Z perls) then one with clean water .

Ok using a mitt wash the car with light stroke as if the mitt is gliding over the car THEN you must rinse the mitt in the water only bucket , make sure you actually squeeze and rinse . then repeat around the car . make sure you use a different bucket of water for the wheels .
Make sure you rinse the car well , if you use a hose try and get it so that it actually sheets the water off this will help with drying

You can also use prior to the above method a foam lance to spray foam over the car as a pre soak

To achieve something like this

Ok when drying you can actually use a quick detailer on the car prior to actually using a waffle weave to dry the car , The blot/spot method is the best where you lay a towel over the car and let it absorb the water but you need a few towel for this ....

IF you use the sheet method for taking off the water , then spray a quick detailer you should then be able to dry with adrying towel again using light strokes .. a water filter can help here as it almost elimnates the need to actually dry the car as it leaves a spot free finish.

Also as Jonny says its down to how the car is prepped as well , a clayed well polished waxed car will be much much eaiser to keep clean without swirls ...

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
What snow foam is that in the pics Whizzer ? I'm after some but dont want the harsh one that strips wax, just one for weekly washing.
Just bought the Karcher foam bottle so need something to go with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts