VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a new key thob for my R from apart from the dealers!, Because clifford need the one I have now to do the egine start off the new clifford key thop? so I need a spare if you can see where im coming from!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
second that ,

Ebay for the right fob plus a blank blade, then have your local locksmith cut it.

However you will need to see the dealer to have the key coded to start the car (about £40)

so all in should cost you about £60-80 where as vw want £140-160

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will VW need the key I have now to program the new key?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Its not possible to do your self unless you have the SKC code for your car, whch Vw have but dont give out !

You can sync the key so it opens doors remotely but it wont start the car

G

·
I am sure that you can read a key though using VAG tacho and then write a new one.

From manual

4.9 Program New Key
This will open a new window. User must enter correct PIN code , and number of new keys to program. Then press OK , and read messages from software.
The number of all programmed keys must be greater than zero, otherwise there are some error.
Note: If you have read PIN code before this procedure, you have to disconnect, turn OFF ignition, then ON and connect again with "Connect any tacho" for tacho, or "Connect selected ECU" for immo box.
The place I got my VAG TACho cable from sell key fobs for $40 including postage - but my cable took a month to get here. Linky anyway

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah but do you think vw need my key to program the new key because clifford are fitting the alarm next week? and they need the key I have now!

G

·
They do need the car and the key I believe.

I have found this on another forum

try this, put existing coded key in the ignition and turn on then shut the door and put the new key in the door as if to open manually turn the key to lock the door whilst at the same time pressing any button on the keyfob.never tried this myself but been told it works.give it a try
This is supposed to work for a MKIV.

Have a read here too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts