VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am currently looking a lowering the ride of my vehicle and have been looking at the above mentioned....on a 40mm drop...

Can anyone advise if they have these/or have any info as to whether they are good or not...

Has anyone also dropped their R32 40mm or gone for more?.....

Pics would be wicked lads !!! (and ladies)

Thanks

J B

·
616 Posts
I'd save for coils.... I have no idea what would happen if you just upgraded the springs....
If it was only a 20mm drop I think you'd be ok.

·
4,328 Posts
personally no, as i just dont think thye can benefit the car, and would only make it a worse ride (both performance and feel) as there main intention is dropping the car, and the only real way is to get coilovers.

but thats just my oppinion and im sure some might disagree with me.

·
616 Posts
Springs would be fine in a straight line, but when the car goes round a bend the car will lean over and expect to have e.g. 50mm to the arch. If you drop it 40mm you have 10mm. So when the car goes round the same bend it's more likely the wheel will kit the arch. I know the springs will be stiffer but from past experience I'd never do just springs again. The coils allow you to stiffen/soften the ride as well as lower it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all your help...........

Would also love to hear if anyone has just dropped their 32 on springs, and not coils??

Thanks

·
324 Posts
I'm getting the H&R Springs that lower by 25mm for my R32 and I really dont think that they will have an adverse effect on the car at all, except decreasing the life expectancy of the dampers slightly.

On my previous road car, a saxo vts, which is now a stripped out trackday car, i've uprated everything from just springs, to dampers, to thicker arb's, torsion bars, upper and lower stut braces, the works, and the best ride and handling by far was just the stiffer lowering springs, made by Ventura for Bilstein, with standard dampers, uprated wishbone/arb mounts and bushes and strut braces upper and lower. The car cornered flat, never bottomed out, could still take potholes/bumps when n the road and responded really well with a far more responsive ride and the arches never rubbed or affected anything.

The only negative was the decreased life of the dampers, but they lasted well over 20,000 miles of road and serious track abuse lowered down 40mm, before i noticed they were starting to become slightly sloppy on rebound but then you have to expect something in return and aren't too expensive to replace.

I'm sure the coilovers are brilliant and one for the future for sure, but springs alone only dropping 25mm won't do any harm mate. I'm also going to uprate the sway bars/arb's to 22mm or 25mm thick.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
im going for gaz gha coilovers these are £500 approx, and obv the hight is adjustable etc im getting these fitted on tues 4th dec so if i can work out how to upload some pics again i will do so, and you can see for yourself!!

:party:

G

·
Dannyrado has H&R springs fitted to his mkiv and the ride sems fine. No different to stock the times I've been in his. Not sure if he experiences any scrubbing of arches though.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your advise....

Think maybe the best thing is I just order them and see how I get on....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts