VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a distinct lack of bass coming from the RNS510 and OEM speakers in my MkV .:R32 and I'd like to get that sorted. I'm not after anything excessive but being the awkward sod I am I don't want a sub taking up boot space as I'm often lugging stuff around in the boot.

I've read about subs that go under the front seats but have absolutely no idea if they are any good, which ones to go for, which ones to avoid and so on so does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Paul Paul Paul,

you've come to the right man, subtleness is my middle name, i HATE stuff that take over your boot or encroach too much into the cabin. Ok what i'd be tempted to do is upgrade the front speakers and add a little dynamat to your front doors. Basically the MkV set up in the front is a 3 way deal, an 8" woofer, a 10cm mid range and a tweeter. These, to put it mildly are awful for any bass reproduction as the paper cones are to flims to deal with it. Also, the Dynamat sound proofing reflects bass back into your car that would normally be lost resonating through the door panel, trust me, it all adds up. The door speakers i'd go for would be a Hertz 3 Way set up, absolutely phenomenal for the money (£199 + Fitting, around £275 all in) and the dynamat, depending on how crazy you wanna go, starts from £15 for a speaker kit. I'd reccomened a little more than this though, the MkV doors aren't bad but they do need a bit of beefing up, probably £40 per door. So all in you'd be looking at £355, but i'd knock you 10% off for a fellow R32 oc boy.

Hope this answers your query mate, i dont really rate the under seat subs, they tend to be a bit flat sounding and people tend to drive them a bit too hard cos its a "sub" and they tend to distort quite easily, just my personal opinion though.

Let me know what you think pal,

Chris

CCA

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Cherry Dude,

Brown bread is a thinner version of Dynamat, it requires more heat to get it to stick properly. Its OK< obviously not as good as Dynamat Extreme but anything is better than nothing. The Dynamat offers more thickness so therefore stops more panel resonance and lets be honest, its THE chosen weapon of the god that is Chip Foose so its got to be good. I've used allsorts over the years but i only stock Dynamat.

Have you had any experience with either, good or bad?

Chris

CCA

·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply Chris.

£355 - 10% sounds good to me! I'm not going to be up your way for probably another month or so but I'll be in touch in a few weeks to get a date sorted :D

·
3,732 Posts
Chorley Car Audio said:
Cherry Dude,

Brown bread is a thinner version of Dynamat, it requires more heat to get it to stick properly. Its OK< obviously not as good as Dynamat Extreme but anything is better than nothing. The Dynamat offers more thickness so therefore stops more panel resonance and lets be honest, its THE chosen weapon of the god that is Chip Foose so its got to be good. I've used allsorts over the years but i only stock Dynamat.

Have you had any experience with either, good or bad?

Chris

CCA
ive used both dynamat and the spray on my old show car, fully lined the interior and roof with the mat and used the spray in the doors, definately uber good stuff, just wondered whether BB was any good with it being cheaper. the car weighted heaps after it all went in but the power compensated for it (i used it mainly to keep engine noise down as the interior was too loud to hear any stereo)

sorry for the thread hijack btw :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
ha ha, no worries dude.

if you ever need Dynamat i have LOADS in stock as the uk distributor is a good mate of mine and i get to sell it VERY cheap so bare it in mind.

Cheers dude,

Chris

CCA

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chorley Car Audio said:
Paul Paul Paul,

you've come to the right man, subtleness is my middle name, i HATE stuff that take over your boot or encroach too much into the cabin. Ok what i'd be tempted to do is upgrade the front speakers and add a little dynamat to your front doors. Basically the MkV set up in the front is a 3 way deal, an 8" woofer, a 10cm mid range and a tweeter. These, to put it mildly are awful for any bass reproduction as the paper cones are to flims to deal with it. Also, the Dynamat sound proofing reflects bass back into your car that would normally be lost resonating through the door panel, trust me, it all adds up. The door speakers i'd go for would be a Hertz 3 Way set up, absolutely phenomenal for the money (£199 + Fitting, around £275 all in) and the dynamat, depending on how crazy you wanna go, starts from £15 for a speaker kit. I'd reccomened a little more than this though, the MkV doors aren't bad but they do need a bit of beefing up, probably £40 per door. So all in you'd be looking at £355, but i'd knock you 10% off for a fellow R32 oc boy.

Hope this answers your query mate, i dont really rate the under seat subs, they tend to be a bit flat sounding and people tend to drive them a bit too hard cos its a "sub" and they tend to distort quite easily, just my personal opinion though.

Let me know what you think pal,

Chris

CCA
How long would you need the car for to do this work ????, im interested in getting this done when i get back after my hols in Aug !!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hi Phil

i'd need the car for a good 3 hours to do this work properly, ts not terribly technical but it is labour intensive. About 60-75 mins per door and a few cups of tea in between sounds about right!

What you think?

Chris

CCA

·
Registered
39 Posts
been to vegas with the boys last month for a stag do

Now got to take the Mrs and the brat to florida, off at the end of july for 3 weeks

Bring it on :)

sorry but stereo upgrade will have to wait till i get back and i have funds in the bank :(

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
ha ha, its ALWAYS the way mate, you had your fun in Vegas (havent we all) now you gotta go away and do the family thing, such is life.

Keep me posted on the audio mupgrade and i'll make some time for you.

Cheers

Chris

CCA

·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris,

What's the total price for the speakers, dynamat, shark fin antenna and having the antenna colour coded?

Looking in the service book for the car I'm not sure which bunch of letters is the paint code, it's either:

BUB
KDE
LA7T
TK

The car is metallic steel grey if that helps.

If you can give me an indication of total price I'll raid my piggy bank then give you a call to get things moving.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Ha ha,

ok, i'll have to do some digging on the old paint code mate, unless anyone on here can help. As for the pricing, the Aerial, Dynamat and Speakers FITTED would be £400 all in, and the colour coding, probably an extra £30 or so.

What ya reckon dude?

·
146 Posts
hi guys, asked a similar question the other day as wanted to buy a chip touch up kit and was pointed in the direction of this thread.

http://r32oc.com/showthread.php?t=819

Having said that that particular colour isn't listed so I haven't really helped. The letters and numbers may give you a clue as to which of the codes is for the paint though?

I would put my money on it being LA7T

·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LA7T sounds reasonable having seen the other codes listed. Thanks for the link :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts