VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking for some advice

Bought a TV just over 1 year ago with a 5 year warranty (65" Plasma HD Panasonic Flat screen)
Last week it broke, called the company I bought it from and they sent out an engineer to collect it. Got a phone call from the company saying that a circuit had blown and they could fix it under warranty. However the wall mount that the TV was on has been fitted incorrectly (apparently) by myself, Dad and Brother. Apparently we've used the wrong spacers supplied with the universal wall mount guaranteed to fit all TV's 40" to 65". This has caused the screen to "bend" and will almost certainly cause the TV to break in the future. This will be too expensive to fix so a new TV is needed and will not be replaced under the 5 year warranty. They say I should have used their team of experts to fit the wall mount. So here's some extra info for you.
  1. I bought the wall mount from the same company
  2. It was recommended by the company
  3. It was the most expensive wall mount
  4. I was never made aware I could have the wall mount installed by the company that supplied it and the TV
  5. The wall mount was sold as an "easy 1 2 3 install" guaranteed to fit with a lifetime warranty
  6. The 3 of us are pretty astute and followed the instructions implicitly (it took all day)
  7. The spacers we used were the largest supplied as although the TV is flat it is deeper at the base than most (none of the other spacers would fit)
  8. The company have messed me around (it took 4 phone calls and some strong words to get a loan TV off them)
That's about it for now. Anyone had a similar experience? Am I in the wrong? Is there anything I can do? I don't have the thousands of pounds it costs to replace the TV. I've got £485 road tax due Tuesday

·
1,415 Posts
Richer sounds?
I had similar problem with broken TV not wall mount
Basically the repair centre they use are useless,took over a month,then to say we can't fix it here's your TV back
I had to go to actual store I bought It from,took TV in spoke to manager,he said the repair centre were muppets to,offered me like for like TV cost,came away with a bigger better tv and excellent customer service from the actual shop

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Repair company are contracted and have been brilliant. It's the company who sold me the TV who have been useless and they are a big company prized for their after sales service. Quite shocked it all this tbh

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Not Richer Sounds)

·
19,388 Posts
My guess is John Lewis

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
2,665 Posts
Ive got a TV with a a 5 year warranty from John Lewis! Thought customer service would be good.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Either way I'm being blamed for installing the wall bracket incorrectly. Not sure how we could have done it wrong as we followed the instructions and used the spacers supplied. We had to choose which of the many spacers to use based on the TV and the spacers we used seemed the only appropriate option.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

Awaiting a call from the manager of said company. Explained the situation so it's got to be taken up with management.

·
742 Posts
Bit of a naughty idea,but wouldn't a cheeky little "accident",claimed on house contents insurance,sort this out as a last resort?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
That's weird, about 2 hours ago a mate said the same thing, but I don't want to go down that route

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's weird, about 2 hours ago a mate said the same thing, but I don't want to go down that route
I'm sure you want to do it right but if they are going to be dicky about the warranty then the home insurance route could be the answer. It might sort the problem given the cost of the television.

Maybe get onto consumer advice and also ask John Lewis to provide an explanation as to how exactly the bracket was fitted wrongly.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure you want to do it right but if they are going to be dicky about the warranty then the home insurance route could be the answer. It might sort the problem given the cost of the television.

Maybe get onto consumer advice and also ask John Lewis to provide an explanation as to how exactly the bracket was fitted wrongly.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2
Thered be 1 big problem with that idea

Management is looking into it, will get a call tomorrow

·
2,803 Posts
We had loads of issues with John Lewis when we bought our Plasma a couple of years ago.
We ordered the telly, which also came with a blu-ray player, a set of 3ddvds, and 2 pairs of digital 3d glasses, plus we also bought a nice stand for it to go on.
The telly came just fine, but they gave us the wrong stand (a better one!) and one pair of 3d glasses had been trodden on by a delivery man - it was crunched and the box was flattened with a footprint on it!
We phoned them up and said it was the wrong stand and the glasses were broken, and thankfully they offered swaps/replacements asap. They delivered us a new stand, which was yet another wrong one, but didnt take the original wrong one! They also swapped the one pair of smashed glasses for 2 new pairs!
So we told them that they had yet again given us the wrong stand, and they came and delivered us the correct one... and left both of the wrong ones with us! They even delivered us another 2 pairs of 3d glasses, which was just as well, because our dog had since chewed up one of the good pairs.

Then a couple of months later, we notice lines of dead pixels randomly appearing on the screen. They would come and go, and be in different places. They were infrequent at first, but they eventually became regular and annoying, so we gave them another ring!
We told them it was broken so they offered to send an engineer to fix it... We said "How can an engineer fix a plasma tv?? its got random lines of dead pixels appearing, there is no way someone can repair a fault like that in our front room" They said "Well its under warranty so we are willing to try" But we told them to replace it, so they did!

Overall, totally incompetent customer service, let alone inventory monitoring! But we came out hundreds of pounds better off through their mistakes!

Back to you though, not hi-jacking! There's no way your mount could have "bent" the TV. It only hangs off the built-in mounting points on the telly, so those would have to have been faulty to cause it to "bend". If a tv can bend, then there is obviously a serious design flaw!
Secondly, they cannot argue that what you have done was wrong. You did all you reasonably could as consumers, and treated it respect and used it only for its intended uses. They are just trying to weasel out of a warranty pay-out!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts