VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

as the title i am looking for ANYONE who can post information on this topic

Myself have heard and seen PLENTY on this matter but after being messed about with by VW and VW UK it is time to take a stand.

short history
MK4 R32 2003/4 light rust bubbles along inner edge of the boot lid and after a main dealer taking pictures and receiving a letter from them saying they would take 50% and we would have to carry the rest of the cost i was a little unhappy to say the least!!!!!

Talking to VW UK the first thing i was told they would not cover it on the 12 year due to it being "PAINT CORROSION" whatever the feck that is !!!!!!! being in the trade i have never heard of that term and even VW UK could not explain the term!!!!

Unhappy with this i realized they had not even look inside to see what the state of affairs were there so removed the boot lid to find the full seam is rotted from one corner to the other

STILL vw claim this is not covered !!!!

Any pointers as what way to take this or anyone else who has had to take further action???
if all else fails i have told them i WILL take it to small claims

Any help please fellow R owners ?????

Andy

·
4,715 Posts
I don't see how they can take part blame if its not been painted before
It's a common fault and the boot handle is a joke and clearly causes problems
Stand your ground and ask for an independent inspector to come out and if they say you will have to pay don't as I kicked off and they paid in the end

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had this problem with my mk1 Audi s3 with the notorious bubbling from the roof rails. Audi said it wasn't corrosion it was due t a paint defect, and u only get a 3 year warranty on that, but as a Gd will jestger they would contribute to 70 percent of the cost of the fix lol. I think VAG have had so many problems with cars of these years that they are trying their hardest not to have to pay out.

·
777 Posts
Thanks guys
Paulie
Janes is MUCH worse than yours on the inside and next to nothing on the outside

obligatory drain holes sealed from factory too
NEVER had paint and NO external damage to cause this
blocked drain holes SIMPLE AS THAT if you ask me !!!!

i am a VW/Audi Mechanic so know what bullshit they try and after even TELLING her what the cause is they still stand fast

the 2nd excuse was it is "seam and fold corrosion" which is only covered by 3 year and NOT 12, oh how i pissed myself laughing at that one lol

as soon as i can i will post up pictures of hers so you can see how bad it is

Thanks Andy

P.S PLEASE keep posting up those of you who have suffered this problem and the outcome with pictures if you can

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
They told me Seem and fold corrosion on my roof and offered me 50% aswell been meaning to take it further just not got round to it, Good luck!

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
It's the drain holes blocked which causes it...it was a dick in the factory who did....and they know that that is the cause.

You can quote mine to them Andy....it was done through Darlington VW

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm in the process of mine being repaired and had a phone call from Robert hazel woods pa stroke secretary stroke lacky yesterday.. I have a slight blister by my tailgate handle and at the bottom of the lid dead center it's starting to rust through.., I have been to VW and then referred to their local bodyshop who clarified that my tailgate has been painted thus eliminating the corrosion warranty. I wasn't happy with this and emailed rob hazel wood and then got the phone call yesterday saying they will be looking into the matter further and will let me know within five days. Just for the records the breather/drainer holes are blocked on my tailgate.. I sad to vw that I have spotted the rust at an early stage and I'm not happy as it's a well known common fault with the mk4 tailgate they said every case is individual... I'm not holding my breath tbh. God knows what it's like inside the tailgate if I were to remove the trim and have a look .., it doesn't look that bad from the outside but it is only gonna get worse so it needs to be done soon

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
VW will sadly attempt to get out of their obligations. They will use the fact that paint has bubbled on the outside and say it was caused by a unrepaired stone chip etc. However, the issue you need to make clear is that it is rusting from the inside out, caused by the blocked drain holes. Point out the obvious rectification in all new tailgates where they now supplied with holes unblocked. If it has FVWSH point out that there are no records on any inspection service invoices where the stone chip was mentioned and reccomended for repair.

The key also to remember is that you want them to give you a replacement tailgate, more than you want them to admit that its their fault. The latter they will not ever do. So suggest to them that you are not demanding an admission of liability, but rather simply a replacment tailgate.

If all else fails write to the UK VW CEO politely asking for his help to bring some integrity back into the Customer Services team as they are clearly trying to use excuses to shirk from the VW 12 year pledge.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Some useful advice there thank you , I'm not brilliant when it comes to phone calls and have so much planned to what to say but forget if when put on the spot .. I will screen munch what you have said above and await her phone call .., cheers

·
Registered
619 Posts
This has got me worried, I had no idea it was a common issue. Not wanting to hijack the post but can anyone recommend where I should start checking?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts