VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I drove down to the South Coast last night, setting off at 23:00 expecting some high average speed action.

As I was coming down the M11 it said M25 shut avoid Dartford. Little bit further it said M11 shut so had no choice but keep with the M25 as all traffic was funneled off the M11. I really didn't fancy going much further round he M25 anti-clockwise or into London to cross the river so stuck with my usual route.

F**k it was carnage, the M25 itself was clear right upto the turn off for the A13. Then it was dead standstill everyone out of their vehicles. The A12 at standstill, the A13 blocked. M25 over the bridge going no where.

I usually check the traffic but setting off at 11pm I didn't think it necessary. So I googled it, some chump had been walking on the QE2 bridge at 5pm and triggered a bomb scare. The roads were still affected at midnight. A couple of cop cars tried to come down the carriageway forcing us up against the reservation and gave up FFS.

Even the Blackwall tunnel in London was blocked. Absolutely insane! The M25 always has little surprises up its sleeve doesn't it!

Surreal waiting there for almost an hour, then suddenly everyone started their vehicles and decided it was time to cross the bridge and we all set off in convoy. Apparently there were 9mile tailbacks at points yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23996065

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yup, was stuck on the A12 towards the blackwall tunnel for an hour or so! Everything was chucka on the roads last night..glad me and the mrs decided to stay indoors last night.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was mental, from where I was I had no options. Every artery blocked. Could maybe have tried going round the M25 the other way but that would have been a massive detour.

G

·
That's nothing compared to Friday rush hour I heard 25 mile queues yesterday lol

Seriously I heard about that I know what it's like to stop in dead still traffic for hours I remember when the m5 was flooded a few years ago think I sat there for 7 hours till they cut open the barriers and sent us back the other way

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking about Friday's rush hour on the M25? If so, this was it mate. I caught the last hour of it around midnight.

Grim! Can't imagine your sitting on the M5 for 7 hours.

G

·
Are you talking about Friday's rush hour on the M25? If so, this was it mate. I caught the last hour of it around midnight.

Grim! Can't imagine your sitting on the M5 for 7 hours.
Yea I left my house at 4 ish in the afternoon for a hour and 45 min drive after they made us turn around got in about 2am lol

·
19,388 Posts
There was a documentary on a few years ago which demonstrated that if a couple of unconnected but not too unbelievable incidents occurred at the same time the knock on effect on the country was devastating amd could almost bring the whole country to a standstill and put many lifes at risk.

I saw last night's incident ob the news and feel for anyone stuck in it but in these troubled timed, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you say Bob, motorways are amazing at getting a large amount of people from 'A to B' quickly. If anything goes wrong though, the sheer numbers make the problem escalate exponentianally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts