VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading up on machining alloys wheels to higher the offset

Example ET35 to ET45

Is this a good idea or would that be taking too much off the wheel destroy the structural integrity of the wheel?

Has anyone done this and can anyone provide any advice?

Thanks

·
1,152 Posts
Im busy with doing this myself, im not going as far as 10mm off the hub, but 6mm.

If there is enough on the hub then there is no problem, i have found a company that does it not far from me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im busy with doing this myself, im not going as far as 10mm off the hub, but 6mm.

If there is enough on the hub then there is no problem, i have found a company that does it not far from me.
Thanks for the reply

Which wheels are you getting this done to?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
CorradoR32 said:
If the hole the wheel bolt passes through is only 15mm thick, taking 10mm off that is risky imo!
the weight of the car is on the centre bore though?

Not condoning it, is say it's risky also. Motorsport wheels are thin already

·
2,204 Posts
The weight of the car is taken by the clamping force of the wheel bolts to the disc. The centre bore lip is just to centre the wheel.

I was thinking more along the lines of the cornering forces making a machined wheel a bit dodgy!

·
1,152 Posts
The thickness of where the bolt goes through is not being compromised that much! There is a lot of meat on the OZ, and 6mm is not that much.

·
2,204 Posts
That's fine then in your case. Obviously, wheels are cast as blanks anyway and metal is machined off to get the required offset, but there is a limit to how thin you can make it, that's all I'm saying

1 - 10 of 10 Posts