VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The covers have finally come off from Volkswagen's sixth-generation Golf hatch thanks to an early leak of images on several Internet forums. Expected to make its official debut later this month before going on display for the first time at October's Paris Motor Show, the new Golf looks incredibly like the current Mark V but differs slightly due to its Scirocco-style headlights and Touareg tail lamps.
The interior also picks up several influences from the Scirocco, with squarish air-conditioner outlets and a similar center stack. There will be numerous engine choices for the Golf including a new 1.6L TSI engine developing 200hp (147kW) as well as a high-performance 2.0L turbo version with 240hp (179kW) in the GTI model. Eventually, VW will also add its new three-cylinder range of engines. The new motors will displace between 1.0 and 1.2L and develop around 75hp (66kW) thanks to forced-induction technology.
With climate change a major part of today's current affairs VW has also announced a 30% more fuel-efficient version. The BlueMotion models utilize slow-shift gear boxes that reduce fuel consumption as well as low-resistance tires to save extra fuel. The final addition could even be a new diesel-hybrid model as previewed by the recent concept version, but its arrival is still several years away.
VW officials have also confirmed that all versions of the car, both left and right-hand-drive models at its hometown plant in Wolfsburg, Germany.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the GTI / R32/R36 won't be released till a year maybe longer after the offical launch, as I to just bought an R32, so it would be a good time to change when the sporty models are released, as you can see it looks to similar to a mark 5.

·
777 Posts
looks a bit like the scirrocco in the top pic but the side shot of the silver 3 dr looks quite nice. Looks to be a bit bigger but thats always the trend with newer models of cars these days.

·
415 Posts
not much difference to the mk5 really. recently got my R as well, and would be gutted if the R36 came out soon (if at all). another year though and it might be time for a change ;)

still, if the gti range delivers 240 bhp, then i wonder what the R range will deliver? 300bhp to rival fords new effort maybe? :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
like the rims on the top pic! and yeh, the sideshot looks real nice.. but still reminds about the MKV! A bit cheap that the rear looks exactly like the the MKV Golf Variant

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Side profile is nice! Back isn't pretty (light clusters look stuck on and are too Audi parts bin). Front looks like a smarter Peugeot 207 and is lacking detail (same as Scirocco). Not bad but I think you can tell it's cheaper to manufacture.

·
236 Posts
More of a Mark 5.5 if you ask me.

·
5,616 Posts
I'm really not liking the rear end! The 3-door pic looks ok, but all the others (being 5-door pics) look horid IMO.

Lets hope the Gti/R32/R36 (range topping) model will get some better looks.

·
3,281 Posts
Change for chage sake by the looks of things. There is no way on Gods earth that that rear end is prettier than the MK5 and as for me, it's the same as when I first saw the MK5, I detested it, I also don't like the look of Scirocco and have been looking at pics of that for a few months now, it's still not grown on me, the Scirocco looks like a mixture of one of these:

+ one of these:

=

·
887 Posts
prefer the look of the 3dr over the 5. Would like to see it in the flesh before making a decision.

Like the side-on view, front might look better with a nice shiney silver surround....:laugh:
Not keen on the back, but the interior looks like a nice place to be.

·
281 Posts
Looks like a well skelpt pig from here!!! Straying way to much towards the looks of the new kia and the astra, more to the point just looks like a squat Golf Plus.

If I was a betting man I'd also put money on the GTI being the range topper, especially with the current eco climate and Labour "Give me more we're not done robbing and lieing to you yet!"

·
1,222 Posts
and top gear said ..
It's the new Golf!

This is the new VW Golf. The Mark Six.

It's due to be formally unveiled this autumn, and if you're tutting sorrowfully to yourself and muttering, 'It seems like only yesterday the last new Golf turned up,' you're not far wrong.

VW has basically pulled that trick of wandering into a nursing home and winding all the clocks forward a couple of hours by rushing in the MkVI just five years after the MkV - two years earlier than expected.

It's something of a shotgun wedding, in truth: VW is finding the current Golf just too expensive to build, so the MkVI has been made simpler, more straightforward and quicker to assemble than an Ikea lampshade. Much quicker.

To keep costs (and weight) down, it's based on the MkV platform - fine by us - but with a new skin and touchy-feely interior. Get used to that lower, wide front end: it's the new VW 'family face' that'll be rolled out across the range over the next couple of years.

VW boss Martin Winterkorn is so sick of the shiny big shield grille of the Eos, Passat CC and the rest that he's ditched the poor bloke who designed them. Probably saves a couple of quid on chrome trim, too.

Expect engines to follow those in the Audi A3, which means common-rail diesels and lots of lovely little direct-injection turbo petrols.

Better still, we're promised that the new Golf GTI will get more power than the current gen, as well as a big black diffuser and the angry, jutting face from the W12 concept.

It's due to turn up just a couple of months after the MkVI Golf hits production... so just in time for the MkVII, then?

·
595 Posts
pas 55 said:
More of a Mark 5.5 if you ask me.
Yeah thought something similar myself.

The side looks ok because that's what the current mk5 looks like. The back looks like a station wagon and the front like an old Astra.

Perhaps it will grow on me.

·
346 Posts
I think it looks OK!!! Bit more of a smart look!!!

I want to see what the new sporty models are going to look like.

BTW... I heard from some other places that they are thinking of not doing a VR6 model. Does anyone know if this is true???

G

·
Side view looks OK, front is pretty agreeable - but the rear is bloody awful!!!

Alloys aren't my cup of tea either.

·
1,580 Posts
Looks Ok for standard models to me too

Difficult to tell from these sort of pics tbh. A new Golf always takes a bit of getting used to. When the MK IV first came out I hated the look at the back end as it was so plain after the MK III then when got used to it i really liked it.

I think the 3dr MKVI looks promising. Profile looks quite 'tough' and the proportions look better than the MK V 3dr.

Interior looks OK, and they have moved the window switches so hopefully they wont get soaked every time it rains and the window is slightly open !!

Hope they do a proper R version and not just a turbo 4 tho or I will have to look at BMWs again (maybe not, thinks of Bangle ewww) :flybye:

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.