VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate just called and he got a knock on the door from a finance company saying the car he brought privately has got outstanding finance and they want the car back. What should he do? I've said hide it for now.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Not much he can do.

Check the company is legit first! Has he got finance on the car? Did he do a HPI check? Was it a private sale?

·
Administrator
3,142 Posts
He has to prove that he paid for it and show evidence that he bought the car in good faith. They usually fill out a buyer questionnaire first before they go any further. Last thing he should do is hide it, I used to take cars off people for a living.

·
318 Posts
Reactions: Silver

·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When he was looking I told him to do his research but looks like he got carried away. The car is a 57 fiesta ST which was cheap with low miles but with no tax and it was garaged so I'm guessing the dude was hiding it. Live and learn I guess

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
Haha! I have plenty of stories to tell about that job!
Friend of mine does car repossession always has a good story at the end of the week down the pub.

·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks for the advice. He is ringing them tomorrow. I've told him just hide the car until you know what's happening. Mans a bit stressed

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Which finance company is it? I ran a collections unit for over 10 years that was mainly car & house repo's, if your pal wants info to avoid any further action just PM me

·
4,715 Posts
raiden said:
My mate just called and he got a knock on the door from a finance company saying the car he brought privately has got outstanding finance and they want the car back. What should he do? I've said hide it for now.
Happened to me with my m3. I just went to my solicitor and showed him proof I payed good money for the car and he simply sent a letter and £300 pound later it was solved

·
Administrator
3,142 Posts
Didn't have chance to tell any stories last night but have been ran after by someone with an axe, dowsed in petrol and ran after with a box of matches, threatened to be shot, ran over to name a few. Wouldn't do it again, I was young back then and didn't really think about the danger.

Like Frankie says, if you can prove you bought it in good faith then he shouldn't have much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Didn't have chance to tell any stories last night but have been ran after by someone with an axe, dowsed in petrol and ran after with a box of matches, threatened to be shot, ran over to name a few. Wouldn't do it again, I was young back then and didn't really think about the danger.

Like Frankie says, if you can prove you bought it in good faith then he shouldn't have much of a problem.
Jeezus that is crazy!! Hope you had life insurance.

Did it have any perks at all??

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my mate got a text from the guy he brought it from:

Hi mate its Perry. Sorry didn't phone yesterday. just letting you know it will be all sorted by tm! faxed then all my documents showing cars been pay'd for. I'll call you when I've finished work.

I told my mate give him till Friday or Monday to sort it just in case it is a genuine mistake. Or should he just go and see him?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts

·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so Daz has given some advice that was very helpful. And last night my friend got in the post a receipt signed by the guy saying that my friend paid him the money in cash for the car and its got the guys name and address. I think it is a genuine mistake but just in case it ain't do you think that document would hold up in small claims court if it was a scam?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts