VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the R is in getting the kenwood DNX521DAB headunit fitted by VW as it was the best deal around and I asked them to check the DSG gearbox as I was sure it wasn't quite right.

I'd done loads of reading on here and other forums about the DSG and I wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid or not but I just got a call saying they're waiting for clearance from VW UK to replace the mechatronic unit. So, thanks chaps!

It seemed fine most of the time but on the odd occasion pulling away in first it was really jerky. Upon reflection, it always seemed like 1st, 3rd and 5th that I got the jerk on.

All I can say is thank god I bought it from a VW dealer (still under warranty) and I'm really glad I didn't sell it on as I was planning earlier in the year - Id have hated to have sold a lemon to another forum member.

Anyway, just thought Id share, bitter sweet I guess. Really looking forward to getting it back now but for the next few days Im stuck with a 90ps golf s tdi
- Man it sucks - its even got wind up windows in the back, didnt know they still existed!

·
114 Posts
Hello mate, glad you're getting a new Mechatronics unit under warranty. When you get the car back, make sure you do a very, very thorough test drive. The fact you are getting the fault in all the odd gears is similar to a fault I had in mine, which was down to worn bearings on the odd gear main shaft. I had my box rebuilt, but a VW dealer won't strip the box, they will just replace it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I will certainly give it a thorough test, I'm hoping the odd gear main shaft is ok and the symptoms are due to the mechatronic unit.

Any issues and its going straight back!

·
19,408 Posts
They should do it as a matter of course but double check they also replace the gear oil and filter.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers bob, I'll insist that they do but it was done as part of the deal when I bought it only 2000 miles ago.

Well, they said they did it....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 and a half weeks later they still have it. Glycol test on the oil returned satisfactory results over a week ago and the dealer is still waiting for vwuk to authorise replacement.

Taking their god damned time about it! Not happy....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big thumbs up for Guildford VW!

While they had it in for the mechatronic unit they also applied to VW uk to replace the lower wishbones and bushes. The bushes were worn but they just replace the whole arm apparently.

Just got a call saying they'll do that under warantee too

Happy days!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts