VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two new front tyres required, is there much difference between PS4 and Primacy 4? These will be replacing Pilot Alpin 5. I also have Michelin PA5 on the rear, both with plenty of life left in them. I'd quite happily keep with the PA5, they've always provided ample grip for my uses but am struggling to find them through a mobile fitter.

I cover about 12,000 miles a year, mainly fast A roads though my driving is not exactly spirited.

·
18,477 Posts
PS4 is the answer unless you are running 19" wheels then the answer is PS4S. Also, I believe Michelin has a cashback offer on just now, so effectively win-win :)

·
18,477 Posts
Have pilot super sports fallen out of favour now? I’ll need tyres soon ish is all and if there is better option I’ll switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I understand it, the Pilot SuperSport was superceded by the Pilot 4S, however the P4S is not available in the UK in 18" sizes, although that may have changed since the last time I checked. I've never tried the Pilot 4 but I currently have Pilot 4S on my Scirocco and they are by far the best tyre I have ever experienced, especially in the wet.

Reactions: Camster

·
Registered
12 Posts
As I understand it, the Pilot SuperSport was superceded by the Pilot 4S, however the P4S is not available in the UK in 18" sizes, although that may have changed since the last time I checked. I've never tried the Pilot 4 but I currently have Pilot 4S on my Scirocco and they are by far the best tyre I have ever experienced, especially in the wet.
Good to know thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PA5 is a winter tyre, not sure you need them unless you live in the Highlands! I'm running PS4's, all I can say is they are exceptional.
Thanks. The PA5 were on the car when I bought it last year. I've no complaints with their performance and wouldn't be changing them if it wasn't for the cut in the sidewall..

PS4 is the answer unless you are running 19" wheels then the answer is PS4S. Also, I believe Michelin has a cashback offer on just now, so effectively win-win :)
Sadly I'm buying through Halfords because I've got some vouchers to use up. Quite happy with £106.99 per tyre fitted at home, almost cheap compared to motorcycle tyres.

I've hit a snag unfortunately, cannot find the locking wheel nut key. I need a 9-spline/point one. Ebay is awash with loads of 21 spline keys and a few 9 flat splines/ribs but no 9 pointy ones. Can anyone suggest a work-around? the wheel nut caps look like they would chew up quite easily if I don't use the correct 9 point key.

·
Supercharged, with all the trimmings. See Website.
26 Posts
Thank you, that's more what I was wondering - can these parts be sacrificed to get to the actual wheel nut. Didn't explain myself too well initially.
Those plastic covers are reusable. No need to sacrifice them. A small hooked pick will pull them right off.

·
18,477 Posts
As said above, these are just wheel bolt covers that just pull off. Normally there is small wire tool along with the stuff in the boot to help them off. A bent paper clip does the same job. That aside, it's likely one of the wheel bolts on each wheel will be an anti-theft type and will require the correct adaptor to remove it. The adapter should be in the boot with the jack and tools.

Reactions: Camster
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.