VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Any of you technical lot ever swapped an engine on a mk3 VR6??

My cousin has done just this, but now it wont start. Think it might be flashing up an immobiliser error on the dash...

Anybody know what to do? Is there a problem with the ignition system not recognising the engine?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not with the car, all I know is the last engine suffered oil pump failure whilst on motorway at high speeds.

So he's bought a new one and whacked it in.

Sure he mentioned a something or other in the dash. But hey, he just turned 18 and is new mechanics.

"Coil round barrel" thats to do with the ignition right? Is this something that can be fixed with VAGCOM?

·
1,538 Posts
It's gotta be something else if he has only changed engine.

Does it actually start?
Or goes it just turnover?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesnt do anything apparently, he's getting 'IN01' error we he now has found out is engine service.

I did a few searches over on VR6 forum, some people were talking about the earthing of the engine.

Cheers for your help so far though mate.

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Might be being way off on this, but when you swap engines don't you need the wiring loom aswell to pair up to the ECU?

·
4,134 Posts
With out even reading the above I was going to say an earth straight away.
That would be my advice, check all earthing points and for broken earth cables. Also make sure all the electrical plugs are correctly fitted.
Is the engine from an earlier or later model? It could have a different type of sensor somewhere.

To be honest it could be a multitude of things, best to get it scanned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In 1995 the mk3 vr6 had an engine revision. Power went up but more importantly the engine management moved to obd2. They also intro'd factory fit immobilisers at this time. The immobiliser stops the fuel pump running and the ignition control from firing the spark plugs it does not prevent the engine turning over.

Swapping across this year may cause problems however I agree with previous comments check all the earths/connectors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts