VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Since having my decat fitted I have noticed a sort of metallic rattle noise up to 3000 revs. It's noticeable around town or pulling off. Once the revs go past 3k it's fine and the decat noise is good.

I have a non resonated milltek currently but want to see if there is any way to get rid of this noise and does anyone else experience this??

I am considering putting my sports cats back on as a few people have said my exhaust sounds awful.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
You sure it's not the heat shield. It only needs to vibrate a tiny amount to create that noise. Replace the star washers with new ones in the decat area.

·
19,389 Posts
The tinny noise might improve as the decat carbons up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I personally love a lot of rasp, but a rattle shouldn't be occurring.
Did you replace the gasket between the downpipe and de cat? Could be blowing. If you did then maybe some nuts are loose or the clamp isn't secure? Or an even longer shot is maybe your downpipe has blown a weld?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Everyone i know has this rallt...

From 2K to around 3K, its meant to be there, its only due to removing the cats you can now hear the noise!

I have it also, Ive run both res and non res and the sound doesnt go away, its just dulled down with the Non Res system in place

Wez

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
I'd like an answer to this too as a decat was gonna be next on my list, but if it sounds tinny, raspy or is gonna make it sound crap or excessively loud, then i'd rather not.. I love the note of mine currently, i don't wanna change the note, but would like a bit more volume if possible..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Unfortunately there is so much variation in noise effects between everyone's individual cars that I think the only way to know is to take the plunge, for example, I am running stock everything except a scorpion non res cat back, my mate Phil has uprated air induction plus de cat and an identical non res scorpion cat back. We were both really surprised to see that mine was barbling more and raspier whilst revving up. It was really noticeable too, we were all expecting his car to be louder.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G

·
I noticed this noise when I fitted my de-cat with my resonated Milltek cat-back system.

At first it sounds like a rattling combined with a load of wasps throwing nails at each other inside a metal tin lol.

Since the remap I've found my exhaust note has changed considerably and the noise isn't as obvious.

My friends Mk2 GTI with full manifolds made a similar noise.

·
1,000 Posts
[sup]when I fitted my de-cat I got the rattly/raspy noise, its just part n parcel of having a de-cat. it improved a bit when I fitted high flow mani's[/sup]

·
5,496 Posts
I love the note of mine currently, i don't wanna change the note, but would like a bit more volume if possible..
In all seriousness, you can make it sound louder from inside just by removing the massive grey polystyrene 'spare wheel' well moudling. That piece alone absorbs a shed load of exhaust noise!

Another way to make the car sound awesome is to change the airfilter for a cone filter, or to drill the airbox like I have. But people get all shitty about drilling holes in the airbox - but I've run my R32 like this for over 7 years and never regretted it.
You get this massively loud woooooooorb noise when you plant the gas down, it just sounds so fantastic from inside the car. (I'll await all the negative comments about drilling the airbox now....)

·
179 Posts
Think this happens with most decats by the sound of it, certainly happened when i fit my decat off of Lucifer. It does dull down slightly after a couple of months of getting carboned up, but the rasp will stay there between 2-3k revs.

Must admit i much prefered the sound of my exhaust without the decat, i have a milltek non res cat back also, made such a lovely deep V6 growl under hard acceleration at low revs, but for the extra power/torque i'm willing to sacrifice it.

As yohan said, we were both down at R Tech on friday (review to be written shortly), and just having the cars remapped we could both instantly tell an exhaust note change as Nik was mapping them, definately doesn't rasp as much now, dont get me wrong its still there, but much duller in my opinion.

Rob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts