VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for info, i can confirm that the fix here https://www.nime.co.uk/mk4fans.html which came about from the uk-mkiv.et forum thread (http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/777824.aspx) does indeed work on our cars (R32 MK4)

I searched around for confirmation of this and didnt find it so in case anyone else is looking i wanted to confirm it.

I fitted mine today which help from a mechanic friend and now my fans work at both low and high speed. Didnt need to replace any fan components just add the device in the link above. Bit fiddly but good instructions with it.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
645 Posts
niced one jim good to know incase they stop workin . can ya hide it away so ya cant see it. was it easy to fit mate . how long to fit?

·
4,328 Posts
I havent done it myself, as mine still work (touch wood) but have heard Kris has done it and his work fine as well and ill do this if mine go.

·
1,149 Posts
Had yours stopped working and by doing the fix they started again or did you do this as a precaution? As my low speed one has stopped working and i could do with a cheap fix, now i know that this is way cheaper but it's at about the limit of my technical ability as i'm not great with electrics - although i know someone who is. So if this fixes broken fans then i might just brave it and do it. :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
epons300 said:
niced one jim good to know incase they stop workin . can ya hide it away so ya cant see it. was it easy to fit mate . how long to fit?
yeah fits under the battery case perfectly, cant see anything changed at all.

If you know how to strip some wires, connect them via soldering etc then its easy. Little bit tricky getting them in position to do it but after thats done its fine. Main hassle was getting battery in and out with all the plastic bits VW decided on using!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
db7 said:
Had yours stopped working and by doing the fix they started again or did you do this as a precaution? As my low speed one has stopped working and i could do with a cheap fix, now i know that this is way cheaper but it's at about the limit of my technical ability as i'm not great with electrics - although i know someone who is. So if this fixes broken fans then i might just brave it and do it. :confused:
yeah mine was not working at low speed, after the fix working fine :D

·
1,149 Posts
Ok in that case then i might see if i can do this at the end of the month. I'm sure i can work it out, although from the pictures i can't see where the fan controller module is but when i'm doing it it should be easy to work out. Do you reckon you could have done it on your own?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
db7 said:
Ok in that case then i might see if i can do this at the end of the month. I'm sure i can work it out, although from the pictures i can't see where the fan controller module is but when i'm doing it it should be easy to work out. Do you reckon you could have done it on your own?
Probably given the soldering equipment but 2 heads definately better than 1.

The module is underneath which makes it bit tricky to get out and at wires but if i can do it im sure others can!

·
1,149 Posts
Ok i can work this out with a mate of mine! I can solder and he's good at splitting re-joining and crimping wires. God i can't wait for Air-Con!

·
Registered
273 Posts
About to do the much cheaper "resistor" mod version as in the picture above, went to RS today and collected the bits. Just need to cut up some alloy and away i go !

Consider it future proofing, last thing i want is the car cooking when im out on the track or worse on the "Ring" a long way from home !

Cheers
Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts