VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any MK4 top mount gurus on board?

I swapped them out at the weekend as well as replacing the tie rods.

I replaced the parts highlighted in the attached pic, which is from the Bentley R32 supplement.

I think the picture is confusing / wrong because the bump stop circled (part 11) was missing from my struts and part 7 is actually a 10mm thick ally spacer. Nothing like what's pictured! I always thought the 'bump stop' was built into the damper on these Bilstein Mono tubes?

The top rubber mounts aren't as pictured either. Part 12 was missing from my struts also.

Have Bentley used a FWD strut for this diagram?

Anyway, I simply replaced old with new and the car just feels weird now. Yes the alignment is off but there's a rumbling through the front and clunks from the top mounts.

Does anyone know of an exploded view picture of an actual R32 strut?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Part 7 is a spacer, shaped to take the bearing part 6. Part 12 is pointing to the whole OEM strut itself.

If you have coilovers the diagram of the strut assembly on the left is irrelevant.

If you have coils I am not sure the spacer Part 7 is needed either.

·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's all standard on mine. I wish I had just done the tie rods and left the TMs now!

Sorry, for 12 I meant the plastic thing on the damper. Looks like the dust boot clips into it.

Pretty sure 7 is the 10mm ally spacer but the diagram just doesn't match the R32 setup, which is odd as it's supposed to be an R32 supplement!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Have a look on the vagcat etka forum for clarification, gives you PN and sometimes dealer price

·
Registered
926 Posts
Did the strut/damper/spring replacement (with Bilstein B4s & Eibach Pro springs) on my GTi just before I got the R32, and mine didn't have spacers either. There was a "How-To" thread on Vortex about this, but I can't remember where it was at the moment - the spacers go beneath the bearing; but basically, don't torque the nut down more than about 30Nm as you will crack the bearing. If no spacer you can go to about 40Nm. (Without the figures in front of me, dont take these figures as gospel - please check first!).

If I find the thread again, I'll edit this post with it.

Found it:

http://noahlh.com/car/coilover_howto/

scroll down to section 15, and he mentions the spacer - it doesn't seem to matter if you have one or not.

Hope this helps

Simon

·
2,204 Posts
Thanks guys.

I stripped it all down again last night and discovered the shouldered nut (part 4 in the diagram) has changed slightly.

Old nut on the left, new one on the right.

I can't believe such a small thing could cause the noises I heard, but it's a good lesson in not having blind faith in the new parts being correct!

I never would have noticed this if I hadn't refitted the old parts out of curiosity!

So I reused the old rubber mounts (they'd only compressed 5mm), new bearings (repacked with silkolene synthetic grease) and the old nut. I fitted new spacers too and copper slipped the damper rod whilst I was there. Quiteness and nice steering again!

Whilst that sorted the immediate problem, I'm not fully out of the water yet!

When doing this job, I noticed there was a slight bit of play in the nearside damper. I'm getting a thud through the car on that side when hitting bumps in right had corners, so I guess when the damper has the car's weight on it + high lateral loads when cornering, that slight play is amplified.

So now it's got to come apart again to replace the dampers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts