VW Golf R32 Forum banner

mk4 R32, locked my ony set of keys in the car today :(

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  SteveHenrick 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Today while attemting to bleed the brakes on the car, I unlocked the car, opened the driverside door & put the keys in the ignition, then closed the door & walked back to my garage.

By the time I had walked back from my garage to the car, It had locked itself.

I have tried putting some thin aluminium down the top of the door to try & reach the central locking button on the drivers side door, but it doesnt appear to want to unlock the car. Maybe I'm not pressing the unlock button hard enough?

I can appreciate that this topic is quite sensitive to discuss on an open forum, so I ask if anyone knows how I can get the car opened, so I can get my keys back out of the ignition, please IM me.

I have called an auto locksmith & I'm not paying excess of £115 for the privilege.

Even checked eBay for a used drivers door window (none tinted), approx £25 delivered, which seems like one of my cheapest options.

I have also considered calling the dealers tomorrow to ask if they are able to cut me some form of a plastic valet key, that will only allow access to the car, but wont start it? I'm guessing I will need to show proof of ownership in the form of my V5C form, which I have & is all correct.

Anyone have any suggestions, please?

I know I'm a dick for doing it, that I'm already fully aware of, lol

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry to hear about your troubles and can't help on that front however, for the car to lock itself after the driver's door has been opened points towards a faulty door lock control module. The car should only lock itself after 30s, if a door hasn't been opened.

Common problem on MK4s. Also means the.fuel pump doesn't prime, interior lights don't come on when the door is opened and the lights on buzzer doesn't work.

Good luck.

Reactions: pete69zx
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Bob,

Some good info there...

When I go to start the car, it wont fire first turn of the key, it takes the second turn for it to spring into life.

I have read that maybe a setting had been changed in VAGCOM to allow the cars doors to lock? If so, I would like to remove this feature to try & prevent this from happening again, unless as you say... it's the door lock module?

Cant clarify if the lights on buzzer still works, but pretty sure the interior lights turn on when i unlock & open the door to get in.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since the modules broken might not of deadlocked the door ?there's a tool slim Jim that goes down inside of window that might open it or just buy airbag don't over pump it cos it will bend the door slightly fishing pole tip with strong magnet or hook 15 second job and ur in .it could of been worse u could have lost the key .
Or tennis ball with a hole in press over lock where the key goes press hard create vacuum which should over power Central locking pump and open the door.

#25 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

I ended up ordering a new basic uncoded key from my local VW dealer. Might get it coded at a later stage.

Approx £63 & a potential 5 day wait.

Waiting isn't a problem for me as the car isn't my daily driver & it's defo not going anywhere at the moment, lol

#27 ·
Got a nice message early this morning to advise the key has arrived at the dealers and is ready for me to collect.

Work comitments wouldnt allow for that today, but tomorrow afternoon I shall go & collect it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.