VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I need new top mounts and was wondering what people are using?

OEM or aftermarket?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Just get the Cupra R ones mate. I've used both VW and the Cupra ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, didn't realise these fitted the R32 as well.

The OEM R32 ones are about £60 a pair!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't want it any lower, it's sitting spot on

Poly ones do feel good though, had power flex ones on the bora

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LCR top mounts and bearings ordered

About £70 all in but hopefully it cures the ridiculous creaking noise!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meant to say, are there any other parts that need replaced at the same time or is it just mounts and bearings?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Get new top mounts nuts. They are called threaded bushes by vw I think.

·
2,204 Posts
Let me know how you get on with this as I replaced my TMs (standard ones) recently and I've had clunks over bumps ever since! I know for a fact VW have changed the design of the nut that holds the strut assembly together, and also the rubber mount itself. Same part numbers, but subtle changes made recently.

I might switch to the Cupra ones if you don't get any issues.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Let me know how you get on with this as I replaced my TMs (standard ones) recently and I've had clunks over bumps ever since! I know for a fact VW have changed the design of the nut that holds the strut assembly together, and also the rubber mount itself. Same part numbers, but subtle changes made recently.

I might switch to the Cupra ones if you don't get any issues.
I replaced my top mounts with OEM VW ones (replacing the Cupra R ones) just to see if it got rid of this squelch I get over speed bumps. It did not fix the squelch, but I can say that there are no 'knocking' noises mate.

If you have noises, I would bet you money that it is your drop links. They have to be incredibly tight. Seriously, get a wrench and tighten to daft tight. I had knocking noises last year, I tightened the front drop links (the nut didn't even feel like it moved) and the noise went away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a ridiculously loud creak from my front left when going over bumps so will start the process of elimination with top mounts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've experienced ARB noises in the past but this sounds different. Like I said, process of elimination. Hopefully just top mounts as the noise sounds like it's coming from near the top.

·
2,204 Posts
Tightening torque for the drop link nut is 90nm (tight!), which I tightened them to and there was no play in the ends that I could feel. There was no knocking prior to replacing the TMs.

I've got a bag full of every conceivable part down there to fit on Friday, plus 2 new dampers (OEM). If that doesn't shift the clunk, nothing will!!

I haven't got drop links though, will try and get some in for Fri.

I've read a squelch noise is a fooked Bilstein that's lost it's gas pressure? They also cause knocking when there's play in the piston rod.

·
2,204 Posts
Following front end parts replaced on Friday (all genuine parts) and the clunk still there:-

Dampers x 2, drop links x 2, wheel bearings x 2, top mounts x 2, lower ball joints x 2, tie rods x 2 & subframe bushes x 4 + stretch bolts x 2

I've just ordered powerflex front ARB and steering rack bushes, but I don't think it's either of them tbh.

The clunk I get sounds like metal on metal and only at speed and only over a very specific kind of bump. I.e. where a water or gas company have refilled a trench in the road but it's sunken over time, or recessed manhole covers.

At slow speeds, high speed and over normal bumps etc it's quiet and solid. With the fully refreshed front end, it feels nothing short of epic, but this clunk is bugging me!

I'll be checking the engine mounts next but if anyone has any ideas of what to check next, all will be gratefully received!

·
2,204 Posts
I did that recently mate, but thanks for the suggestion. I shortened the through bolt to put more tension on the rubbers. Cheaper than poly upgrades and less vibration

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Hi folks,

I need new top mounts and was wondering what people are using?

OEM or aftermarket?

Cheers
I used just OEM ones. However if you prefer Poly ones. Powerflex one are exactly same dimensions as oem and don't lower the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used just OEM ones. However if you prefer Poly ones. Powerflex one are exactly same dimensions as oem and don't lower the car.
From what I understand the Powerflex ones need modification to fit an R32? I know they list them for a 4mo but not the R32, must be the same setup though?

Got my LCR mounts on yesterday, so far so good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts