VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 5k a good price for a mk4 R32 in black, what's clocked 122k miles ? Just tempted to go and view this that's all Any advice what be appreciated

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
About rite for the mileage,

Remember that 122k is still below average mileage for a car of that age so it its Been looked after ok it will still be like new.

The most important thing is a comprehensive history

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to speak to him on phone tomorrow and find more info on this. It looks mint on the pictures

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
R32w4yn3 said:
I am going to speak to him on phone tomorrow and find more info on this. It looks mint on the pictures
Black is hard to keep good, look for swirly paint, it can be corrected, trust me I know lol.

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
3,392 Posts
At 122k unless its had a front end respray your notice it will look a dull flat black in places due to the stone chips.

I had mine re spayed at 100k due to this. Your probably find that on close inspection that the front bumper will be very pitted and noticeable from an easy 5 to 6 feet away.

The interior will have mild to heavy signs of wear on most hand touched components, ie steering wheel, gear stick (usually very badly worn), drivers seat bolster and center console all wear badly. Have a look at the roof lining, they are all grey and show loads of dirt and grime unless cleaned. A smokers car will be worse.

I would expect a fair bit of wear on one thats done 122k. Unless you keep on top of them at that millage it really starts to show.

Im going by my experience. I did a £2000 re fresh at 100k

Like Cheempej says, i'm also agreeing with the niggles! Its cheap if you have a few quid set aside to bring it back upto date but you never know, the above might not apply and it might be a minter!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one in Scotland a bit to far unless visiting my mum in Aviemore lol Cheers, I will ring him later on my lunch break and find out a bit more information on this. Its only Derbyshire, so about 1hr 15 mins away from me to go and view this. All depends on how much he will give me in px for my stage1 LCR

·
3,392 Posts
This one for the money is bang on! Very good service history including chains, clutch and flywheel replaced.

Also has a mod list that total's thousands!

Even if you got the seller down to £6500 i see this as a bargain! You wont need to spend any major money on it until it needs new rubber so say another 30k miles! The owner is even willing to tax it and mot it for free!

Whats your budget as this is worth more of a look than the 122k one.

http://www.pistonhea...-black/1698525#

Reactions: Dodders

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really nice motor, but I am looking for a 3 door one. I am hoping to trade my car in for 3k then probs 2k cash on top, maybe stretch to 2.5k but really cant afford to go any higher then this
I can wait until next year maybe save up and go up to 6k for one but I have been waiting ages and just getting impatient now lol

·
3,392 Posts
Thats fair enough but tbh if it was me i would save more, hold out a little longer and buy one like the one that ive posted in the link. Ive got an R32 thats done 100k, ive owned it for 7 years since 30k and im not going to lie, by 100k it was starting to show signs of real wear, not that i ever neglected it, its just every day use caught up on it. Ive recently spent a fair chuck of cash on it to bring it back to looking fresh.

Like Dodders says, i agree and would hold out dude or your not going to have the cash to put the things wrong with one thats done a lot of miles.

But its up to you, i remember when i was looking at ones, i was like a kid in a sweat shop, i wanted to buy every single one i looked at lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am like this, lol think because I test drove the other day, and see one on the road local to me makes me want one more everyday. So you could say at the moment I am being like a "kid" Just don't think I can wait until next year, and plus think my car will be worth less
I will probs just end up selling mine private then buying one for around 5.5k and take pot luck...I am not bothered on colour would be nice in blue but can't have everything :)

·
3,392 Posts
I am just going to wait now I reckon...See what comes at at right price then
I honestly think the wait will be worth it. For an extra £1500 on top of your 5k budget your going to get a car similar to that link i posted.

That £1500 extra that you save up for a good one will almost certainly save you 3k in the major servicing that will more than likely need doing and it could even possibly save you more. Some of the cars that i found on Piston Heads yesterday had 4k's worth of quality mods/upgrades!

I didnt really realise but for a 2nd hand buy some of the Mk4 R32's listed are just incredible! You've got to remember they are still a very capable car and so so rare.

When you price them next to the likes of a (very costly to run) E46 M3 they look even more of a bargain!

Some of the cars i've found just seem too cheap at 6k or 6.5k. They have 5k's worth or mods and services! They should be up for 10k considering the rarity!!

·
618 Posts
I'd want £1000 in reserve for sorting any issues out on a car with that mileage.
There's no way it's not going to need bits sorting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts