VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an R32 Mk4 standard boot spoiler to come off for painting the tailgate which I am assuming is bonded on and doesnt have any bolts.Anybody had any previous experience/know anything with regards to carefully removing/reattatching the spoiler as I dont want any mishaps as the car is going to Edition38 in 2 wks time. Any advice would be much appreciated.Im thinking the cheesewire route for removal and some strong bonding adhesive such as sikaflex ect but dont want any unexpected probs.

Thanks

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
4,848 Posts
i tried to remove the spoiler on my mkiv after it got written of and i didnt manage it successfully despite trying alsorts. It was an aftermarket bonded spoiler but it didnt wanna come off. I couldnt find anything to cut through whatever the dealer used to bond it. I never even considered cheesewire though. I hope you have more luck/success than i did.

·
52 Posts
Hi there i beleive that cheeswire is the only option best with two of you, as a windscreen fitter we come across spoilers all the time some bolted and glued unfortunately this one wasn't designed to come off, don't know if you heard of a fein cutter some people use this to cut windscreens out hope this helps

·
344 Posts
Unfortunately not, I just got an email back from VW that said they're not going to sort my tailgate out, useless lot! Looking into small claims court now agaisnt the VW dealer that I bought it from under the sale of goods act. It's only £30 to take them to small claims so I thought it's worth a final try to see how it goes as I bought it on the understanding it came with a 12 year anti corrosion warranty and they're not hornoring that now. Absolutely shocking to be honest!

·
2,490 Posts
MikeC said:
Unfortunately not, I just got an email back from VW that said they're not going to sort my tailgate out, useless lot! Looking into small claims court now agaisnt the VW dealer that I bought it from under the sale of goods act. It's only £30 to take them to small claims so I thought it's worth a final try to see how it goes as I bought it on the understanding it came with a 12 year anti corrosion warranty and they're not hornoring that now. Absolutely shocking to be honest!
Take a look at "Rusty wheel arches"thread mate..it went of topic a bit lol..ended up on rusty TAILGATES.. think you will find it interesting,It shows a bit of promise imo..theres a few of us now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts