VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The R's brake pads and disks were getting towards the end of their lives, so I though it would be a good idea to go for an upgrade. Cheaper and better than OEM, plus they look awesome

I went for Black edition Mtec drilled & grooved Disks, with Mintex pads (no real reason for the pad choice other than they recommend/supply those!)

Simon a.k.a. Si-R32 offered to help me, and we did them this Sunday. And when I say "help" and "we" I really mean Simon did practically all of it because I had no idea how!
I did pass him the tools/hat/drinks though!

On goes the first disk on the front - pretty!

Second front disk with pad all in

To remove the rear callipers, the car had to be raised up so that Simon could get underneath and attack the bolt that was hidden in the bowels of the rear suspension. Much swearing ensued!

Then a friend of his turned up! He kindly lent us the stands

And at the end of a long day (especially for Simon!) they were all done. After a quick test drive to check, another modification happened:
Can you tell what it is yet?

Thank again to Simon / Si-R32, who never wants to see a rear calliper bolt again!

G

·
looks good, on my list to do aswell although i wont be fitting them. Si's handy at this thing is he... hmmm lol

nice vauxhall aswell. nearly bought one before the R.

can i ask how the discs/pads cost?

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks good, on my list to do aswell although i wont be fitting them. Si's handy at this thing is he... hmmm lol

nice vauxhall aswell. nearly bought one before the R.

can i ask how the discs/pads cost?
You can ask him as nicely as you can, but I dont think he will be doing brakes again, it was an absolute nightmare for him getting those rear bolts off!

Disks and Pads were about £260 all in I think...

·
3,611 Posts
Looking Good !

G

·
You can ask him as nicely as you can, but I dont think he will be doing brakes again, it was an absolute nightmare for him getting those rear bolts off!

good price.
i was joking about si..... i remember reading his write up on brake pad changes an dhim mentioning a bolt underneth which is a PITA

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
South East Organiser
6,827 Posts
Good work Simon. well done. lots of swearing of course!! haha

They look like different colour needles!

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, I promise its not lit needles;

Interior lights are now bright blue LEDS! Looks interesting! I must add that it really does light up the interior, but will not show up on a camera for some reason - that wasnt some kind of artisic photo, thats just what shows up!

You can see the outlines of the seats and steering wheel, and those bright blue "needles" are the metal door trims.

G

·
Nope, I promise its not lit needles;

Interior lights are now bright blue LEDS! Looks interesting! I must add that it really does light up the interior, but will not show up on a camera for some reason - that wasnt some kind of artisic photo, thats just what shows up!

You can see the outlines of the seats and steering wheel, and those bright blue "needles" are the metal door trims.
I was going to say that, honest... i thought you had applied some glow in the dark paint to the trims etc. looks good though.

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
Olly it was a great day mate, really glad your happy with them, led's also look very good mate, bit dark in the pic so i hope there good at night.

keep me updated on the cluster swap mate
talk soon

ps should have started a £1 swear jar we'd be loaded now !!!!

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the swear jar would have been overflowing!

The LEDS are pretty powerful and light up the cabin more than the standard ones.... except in blue! Pretty shocking when you first see it

Will do, hopefully getting the clusters sorted on Saturday.

·
South East Organiser
6,827 Posts
Olly it was a great day mate, really glad your happy with them, led's also look very good mate, bit dark in the pic so i hope there good at night.

keep me updated on the cluster swap mate
talk soon

ps should have started a £1 swear jar we'd be loaded now !!!!
Would have paid for the next frankie and bennies haha. Its mandatory to have have cursing and sound effects when fixing stuff

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Thats not a bad price at all! I need new brakes soon, like the look of these

Someone I know with a silver mk4 got these, said they are so much better than the standard vw ones, and worked out cheaper somehow!

Reactions: TheJam

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A full set of OEM disks and pads was over £400 if I remember rightly

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Thats ridiculous!! VW meh!

Would you say they are actually better quality being that they're cheaper?

When did you wanna test the exhaust sounds lol? The next meet?

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They're a bit better according to those that have them, and the quality is lovely. The black edition ones dont rust all over, which is nice.

Will you be at the AMD meet in September?

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
Sounds good then!

Erm I didnt know about it, is it shown on the forum somewhere?

·
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Michelle

·
Registered
250 Posts
Holy thread revival Batman...

Just wondered what these brakes were like and where you got them from please? I know its a few years old, but your opinion would be good ... cheers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts