VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mk5 r32, both cooling fans come on straight away at full power when the ingotion is turned on, even when its comoletkey cold, continue to run for 5 mins when the car is switched off. Have changed
.both fans
.Both coolant temp.sensors
.ac pressure switch
.ambient air temp sensor
Everything looks OK On diagnostics. Help needed

· Registered
3 Posts
sounds like it would be your pressure sensor for the A/C system, check to see if the pressure ever changes while you are driving it. if the pressure does not change then try getting a new pressure sensor you may have to drain the system, if it does change then you might have some restriction within the system which is causing the high pressure and parts of the system will need to be cleaned and replaced. the system will go into a self preservation mode over 36 bar by shutting down the compressor and running the fans on high. there are other posts on here that say that the cooling fan controller is known to fail and that may be a possibility

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have changed the sensor and is now reading 0 bar, but the aircon doesn't seem to work so I assume its empty, issue is still there. Is the Controller part or the climate controll piece in the dash?

· Registered
3 Posts
the fan controller is connected to the big fan and considering you already replaced the both fans the controller was most likely replaced with the assemblies, the climate control unit is in the dash board, before going further on replacing parts, what code reader are you using some of them might not be able to read all of the fault codes set by the systems.

· Registered
2006 Mk5 R32 3dr Auto
4 Posts
I have this very problem, I’ve now replaced both fans and control unit, thermostat, temp sensor and no difference.
I’m going to get an A/C tech to check out the system as I know it isn’t working properly and with what Zachary has said above, this seems the next logical effort.
no codes showing at my Local independent.

· Registered
2006 Mk5 R32 3dr Auto
4 Posts
You need to look at the outputs of ALL the temp sensors - eg the "outside" temp one and MAF temp sensor etc. If one is open circuit, or out of range, it can cause weird fan issues...
Thanks for this info. I’ve ordered an OBD scanner which should show me this. I’m frustrated with the issue as it’s constantly draining the battery when it goes into tornado mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts