VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed that the rad fans on my R32 make an awful lot if noise! When the car is cold and I start it up the fans kick in straight away, as if the car had been ragged and is red hot!

Is this a normal trait of the Mk5 R32 or is there something not quite right? As I don't remember it doing it and have really only just noticed it!

·
2,204 Posts
Would love to know myself as my MK4 has started doing the same. My guess is the fan controller or a duff sensor. What is it with VW and fans??? They've always been shit, right back to my MK1 GTI days!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I've recently noticed that the rad fans on my R32 make an awful lot if noise! When the car is cold and I start it up the fans kick in straight away, as if the car had been ragged and is red hot!

Is this a normal trait of the Mk5 R32 or is there something not quite right? As I don't remember it doing it and have really only just noticed it!
Sounds like the fan controller which i believe is built into the fans on a mk5, mate of mine has a brand new set boxed if you need em.

·
595 Posts

Have you got the climate control set on auto?If so fan always kicks in.Try it on econ or off and see if that stops it.

·
19,389 Posts
Have you got the climate control set on auto?If so fan always kicks in.Try it on econ or off and see if that stops it.
It kicks in on low speed which you can't really hear from inside the cabin. From his description, sounds like they are running on high speed, which points to either a faulty temperature sensor or the fan controller.

he secondary air pump can also make a noise similar to the fans running on cold starts.

·
595 Posts
It kicks in on low speed which you can't really hear from inside the cabin. From his description, sounds like they are running on high speed, which points to either a faulty temperature sensor or the fan controller.

he secondary air pump can also make a noise similar to the fans running on cold starts.
Ah rite mine was kicking in at high speed when on auto?As mentioned even when first started, it has stopped since leaving on econ mode.

·
19,389 Posts
Ah rite mine was kicking in at high speed when on auto?As mentioned even when first started, it has stopped since leaving on econ mode.
That's a symptom of the low speed resistor on the fan being burnt out. The fans pulse between high speed and off. By having the "Econ" button on, it disables the A/C and as such disables the low speed fan. You need to be careful as the pulsing can blow the fuse on top of the battery meaning the fans won't operate on high speed when needed, like being stuck in traffic.

With A/C on, "Econ off", the fans should rotate continuously on low speed.

With A/C off, "Econ on", the fans should be stationary.

When the coolant temperature reaches around 105 degrees, fans should run on high speed.

Reactions: ultimateauto
1 - 7 of 7 Posts