VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my mk4 R this wknd, I'm now looking for something else. Not in any rush gonna test drive a few of each. I've always had manuals so I'm thinking about dsg and smg. Im also thinking about convertible,? I like the fact I can get a newer golf for the same money for an m3 but vw don't don't make a mk5 convertible :(Also the m3 is100 bhp and the golf tax is more! So I'm struggling to decide. Guess I'll just have to travel around and and drive a few of each. Also been thinking about hp and what deals are being done at the dealers?

·
2,895 Posts
If you got the money to run it then E46 all the way.

·
Registered
363 Posts
All you can do is drive each and see what you prefer personally.

You can listen to opinions but people always have very different ones.

All I would mention is that I'm sure the servicing, and general running of an M3 is going to be alot more than a R32 as there is more too them. Especially an SMG.

·
2,895 Posts
Fuel cost,insurance and maintenance is a bit more. I sat in one at a main dealer a couple weeks ago and considering it was a old car it still made me feel like a million pound. My MK is good but a BMW M3 is better IMO

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
My mate's E46 M3 (2004, the earlier models were not as reliable) has cost him a sheet load in the first year, it was on 70k and despite being told by everyone's that's looked at it that's its a minter its had a fair few problems. It's also had the BMW extended warranty malarkey its whole life.

Yes the tax is the same as the mkIV and the petrol not too different, but that's where the similarities end. The 19s are damn expensive to shoe if you want quality rubber. Of course, they are suppose to ride better on the 18s. He's had problems with the coil packs, the traction control, the suspension. Cant even remember what else... basically cost him on the way to what he paid for it in the first 12 months, after brakes, problems and tyres.

But that said, it will eat an R32 alive given half a chance. We've had some good rides where ive had the edge knowing the roads better. But on any straight or in the right hands its no contest. But then it's not as practical as the R and cant cope with the slightest bit of snow.

I have always thought for me personally and E46 could be the next step, just wish I liked the interior. They havnt changed much since my parents E30 haha.

Great cars, but do cost more to run. My mate had a mkIV before the M3. Go out try some, let us knowhow you get on.

·
161 Posts
hiya,,ian,,went i bought the mk5 a couple of weeks ago,,the m3 was one of the cars i looked at as a daily driver but in all honesty not for me as a dd,, although it was/is a wonderful car[imho] car,
there was just too much drama,,,kind of reminded me of when i owned my impreza,,driving in inner cities would soon become very tiring but very tempting to have one as a weekender,,
,,its the first time i have considered getting rid of my long term porker with cars so very cheap at the moment it is very tempting,,i would have an m3 but for weekends and keep our mk5 for a daily driver,,ever driven an m3 in the snow?
good luck in your search though ian,,regards jason p

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
What Porsche do you have mate?

·
1,927 Posts
The Eos is available in 3.2 and 3.6 versions if you want a VW convertible. Don't think they're much of a drive, though...

·
4,715 Posts
I have driven the m3 in bad snow.

It was as you would expect a rear wheel drive car to behave but it was better than my 1series tbh. I got through 2 bad winters with only these two cars so not the end of the world

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hiya,,ian,,went i bought the mk5 a couple of weeks ago,,the m3 was one of the cars i looked at as a daily driver but in all honesty not for me as a dd,, although it was/is a wonderful car[imho] car,
there was just too much drama,,,kind of reminded me of when i owned my impreza,,driving in inner cities would soon become very tiring but very tempting to have one as a weekender,,
,,its the first time i have considered getting rid of my long term porker with cars so very cheap at the moment it is very tempting,,i would have an m3 but for weekends and keep our mk5 for a daily driver,,ever driven an m3 in the snow?
good luck in your search though ian,,regards jason p
Snow doesn't bother me as I cycle to work it's just a wknd car. Like I know already and many have mentioned I'll drive a few of each and let u all know how it goes! Thanks guys

·
2,639 Posts
M3 would be my choice. CSL's have gone up quite a lot in value over the last couple of years, they were touching £20k but now they are comfortably around £30.

Go for a M3 CS. They come in unique colours and have the alcantara steering wheel, CSL wheels, suspension etc. you can't beat a quick RWD car IMO

·
4,715 Posts
DM_DubGTi said:
M3 would be my choice. CSL's have gone up quite a lot in value over the last couple of years, they were touching £20k but now they are comfortably around £30.

Go for a M3 CS. They come in unique colours and have the alcantara steering wheel, CSL wheels, suspension etc. you can't beat a quick RWD car IMO
I couldn't agree more. RWD is a great driving experience

·
1,538 Posts
E46 have a problem with there rear ends that BMW will sort out. Something to do with the rear subframe mounting points cracking

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
E46 have a problem with there rear ends that BMW will sort out. Something to do with the rear subframe mounting points cracking
yeah the rear subframe cracks, your car has to be under 10 years old and have full BMW history for them to do it for free.

·
1,138 Posts
I love the e46 M3.....looks fat and mean. If you are seriously thinking about it, and if you can afford it, defo go for the CSL. If funds are a bit stretched, then get the CS which was available towards the end of the e46 life cycle. 2004-2006.

I don't think you would ever regret it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts