VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum.

I just bought a Mk5 R32 just under a month ago. I noticed on purchase some rust on the front wheel arch. Later discovered rust on the rear wheel arch and then rust on both inner front door seals.

Is it normal for these cars to rust here? I owned a 1.6 FSI prior to this car and it had no rust on it at all.

ChipsAway has quoted me £1188 to fix these issues. Is this reasonable?

Furthermore, is there a way to prevent this from happening again? Zinc coating, ACF50 or underseal?

I have attached some pictures too.

Cheeres
Hood Automotive tire Blue Azure Car

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Vertebrate Sky Blue Azure Automotive lighting

Cloud Atmosphere Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
take the front wheels off, remove the wheel liner and see if the noise deadening foam is still there. that's the cause of the front rust.

the rear rust is prob years of crap behind the arch. the door sill I wouldn't be to bothered about.

I wldnt use chips away, need a decent body shop to do the work

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
take the front wheels off, remove the wheel liner and see if the noise deadening foam is still there. that's the cause of the front rust.

the rear rust is prob years of crap behind the arch. the door sill I wouldn't be to bothered about.

Thank you very much kingswood. It is the same for the rear in terms of sound deadening?

ChipsAway say it will need 3 days in their body shop. Are they not very good quality? I don't have much money left after buying the car and replacing the flexi exhaust section and catalytic converters so I can't spend too much more at the moment. I am looking for a decent quality job that will last maybe 5 - 10 years before I go all out on a full respray. Do you believe ChipsAway would provide that or should I steer clear? Cheers 👍

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you very much kingswood. It is the same for the rear in terms of sound deadening?

ChipsAway say it will need 3 days in their body shop. Are they not very good quality? I don't have much money left after buying the car and replacing the flexi exhaust section and catalytic converters so I can't spend too much more at the moment. I am looking for a decent quality job that will last maybe 5 - 10 years before I go all out on a full respray. Do you believe ChipsAway would provide that or should I steer clear? Cheers 👍

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be best to put new wings on and get a good body shop to do the work
Hello Andy
Thank you for your reply. Do Volkswagen still make the wings or do I have to go second hand ir even aftermarket? Are they expensive? ChipsAway say that if I did replace the wing the blend cost would be greater too.

ChipsAway was going to take the car away for 3 days for a paint shop job. Are ChipsAway not good?

Cheers 👍

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
646 Posts
The corrosion you have shown is irritating but not terminal. The front will be the sound deadening foam that holds water and leads to the corrosion shown . If you have the time and a few tools, follow the advice given in an earlier post and Jack up the front , remove one wheel at a time, then the wheel arch protecter and check the extent of the rust , removing the foam whilst you are there . If it is not too bad, and funds are low , Emery cloth, rust converter, primer and a touch up pen will slow things up a bit. It will not look concours , but it will help . In the end , new wings , resprayed and fitted is the way to go. At the rear, a bit more tricky as the rear quarters are not going anywhere in a hurry. Bodyshop visit if the corrosion is more than just a tiny patch on the surface .
Just my thoughts .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The corrosion you have shown is irritating but not terminal. The front will be the sound deadening foam that holds water and leads to the corrosion shown . If you have the time and a few tools, follow the advice given in an earlier post and Jack up the front , remove one wheel at a time, then the wheel arch protecter and check the extent of the rust , removing the foam whilst you are there . If it is not too bad, and funds are low , Emery cloth, rust converter, primer and a touch up pen will slow things up a bit. It will not look concours , but it will help . In the end , new wings , resprayed and fitted is the way to go. At the rear, a bit more tricky as the rear quarters are not going anywhere in a hurry. Bodyshop visit if the corrosion is more than just a tiny patch on the surface .
Just my thoughts .
Hello VelovetAndy. Thank you very much for your reply. I will certainly get rid of those sound deadening sponges. I hope to find a good body shop to get the rust sorted. I think I have noticed it before it has become terminal. I intend to keep the car for the long haul so any prevention techniques is greatly appreciated. Thanks Again 👍

·
Registered
744 Posts
The only thing I would worry about sorting asap is the rear arches, sill doesn't look too bad (might be worth checking properly) and pretty standard, front wings are a few bolts off and on.

One of my front wings has been on the way out for years and I think it's probably got another few before I sort it, much more interesting things to focus on first :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing I would worry about sorting asap is the rear arches, sill doesn't look too bad (might be worth checking properly) and pretty standard, front wings are a few bolts off and on.

One of my front wings has been on the way out for years and I think it's probably got another few before I sort it, much more interesting things to focus on first :)
Hello iroooiidvd. Thank you for your reply. I will get onto it as soon as possible before it gets any worse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can buy a set of pre painted wings on ebay for about 180 and they just bolt on, there pretty good fit and colour match. Lothian spares i seem to remember.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can buy a set of pre painted wings on ebay for about 180 and they just bolt on, there pretty good fit and colour match. Lothian spares i seem to remember.
Hello jones2500golf. Thank you very much for your reply. I have just looked at their page on eBay. Sadly they haven't got any in blue at the moment. But I will keep an eye out.

Thanks Again

·
Administrator
R32 mk5 2008
3,601 Posts
Genuine wings are £170 each if your not trade or if you know someone with a body shop and has an account can get them cheaper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts