VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen Golf R32
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I have being hearing a rattle coming from the R32 recently.

I believe it to be the timing chain due to the noise and the misfire at around 2,000 RPM.

I have the car booked at Stealth Racing to have the chains replaced in July.

I would like your opinion if possible. I believe this noise has been around since February. I have driven approximately 3,000 miles since then. I will probably drive around another 1,500 miles before the chains are replaced.
Looking at the video too, do you think the car would be ok to be driven for another 1,500 miles, or should I get alternative transport to work?

Are the chains likly to snap after 4,500 miles of rattling?

The car is booked for a VCDS check in early July. What would be a safe VCDS number to continue driving the car on? The trip up to Stealth Racing will be over 130 miles so I want to make sure the car would be ok taking the trip.

Cheers Everyone

·
48 Posts
The rattling sound in the video is similar to that made on my mk5 when the dual mass flywheel became faulty. You may wish to check for this before going to the expense of replacing the chains. If it is the flywheel, depending on the age of the clutch and the mileage on it, you may wish to have it changed at the sametime,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts