VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successful fitted a towbar to a mk5 r32 (towing a small camping trailer) ?
I'm looking at buying but the car has to be an all round family car that does everything
Thanks

·
19,396 Posts
Even if you get around the issue of the silencer and tailpipes to actually fit the towbar, as far as I'm aware the MK5 R32 is not homologated for towing and no max towing weight is specified in the documentation. Certainly would vause insurance issues if the worst were to happen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a Towbar on the mk5 gti and the main supports slid up the chassis rails either side, the main crossbar being above the exhaust and dropping down in the middle of the car behind the bumper ( clearing r32 exhausts ?)
I'm ever hopefull !

·
1,435 Posts
Has anyone successful fitted a towbar to a mk5 r32 (towing a small camping trailer) ?
I'm looking at buying but the car has to be an all round family car that does everything
Thanks
Maybe this is why they are not so popular. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm yes, I see your point !
But there again, no towbar = no r32 for me unfortunately, as its the family 'do everything' car
Like I said, I live in hope !

·
83 Posts
I used a 4motion tow bar with a swan neck.
A lot of chopping and strengthening the support
Then I made the parts you can see which slide up past the plastic in the middle and in between the exhaust pipe.
I work for a company who make HGVs so I have access to stress analysis tools so I could determine what arrangement of bolts that were needed.
As you can imagine, I had to use counter-sunk 12.9 grade bolts on the bottom where the pipes come past.
I will never tow anything heaver than a motorbike trailer with it but I engineered it strong enough if I needed to pull my box trailer with something else in.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I used a 4motion tow bar with a swan neck.
A lot of chopping and strengthening the support
Then I made the parts you can see which slide up past the plastic in the middle and in between the exhaust pipe.
I work for a company who make HGVs so I have access to stress analysis tools so I could determine what arrangement of bolts that were needed.
As you can imagine, I had to use counter-sunk 12.9 grade bolts on the bottom where the pipes come past.
I will never tow anything heaver than a motorbike trailer with it but I engineered it strong enough if I needed to pull my box trailer with something else in.
Just found this as it qas linked to another topic.

Can you make and sell me the tow bar?
Need it for a single bike trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts