VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
hi there

im moving from a mk4 r32 to a mk5 manual r32...iv been told that the road tax is double to what i have been paying?
also is there anything to look out for in common problems with the mk5r?
cheerz

·
2,803 Posts
Unless its an early 55 plate, expect £475 a year

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts

·
276 Posts
How much longer are people willing to keep their R32's as tax creeps towards the £500 mark, which undoubtedly it will be next year. When you think about it paying £490 for tax plus insurance is getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'll keep mine, provided they don't keep rising it, otherwise people will just refuse to pay it as the fines will be cheaper.

I currently pay 475 per year and only issues I've faced is the major service costs haha, I'm sure someone can go into detail.

·
276 Posts
It seem's like it's raising at an exponential rate, it's jumped £15 from last year, and overall since 2007 paying an £85 increase 6 years later from when it was £405. Clearly the government want us to pay £500 next year and force us to get rid of these big engines cars.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Road Tax doesn't bother me tbh
. If I want something bad enough I'd pay it and if I couldn't afford it I'd make sacrifices. The government have put themselves in a tidy position. If you sell up and buy greener cars they come closer to meeting their carbon footprint targets, if you continue to pay they make more money. It's what businesses do with clients they don't like/have pronlens with. Increase their fees and if they go elsewhere then great, if they pay up then great. Win win situation.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Road Tax doesn't bother me tbh
. If I want something bad enough I'd pay it and if I couldn't afford it I'd make sacrifices. The government have put themselves in a tidy position. If you sell up and buy greener cars they come closer to meeting their carbon footprint targets, if you continue to pay they make more money. It's what businesses do with clients they don't like/have pronlens with. Increase their fees and if they go elsewhere then great, if they pay up then great. Win win situation.
Are you saying the Government don't like us ? hahaha

I'd happily torture those in power if it were legal and i'd enjoy every minute of it.

New JIGSAW in the making

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Are you saying the Government don't like us ? hahaha

I'd happily torture those in power if it were legal and i'd enjoy every minute of it.

New JIGSAW in the making
Lol

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't have a problem with the rise... no rise would be better but £15 as a percentage of the total running costs of an r hardly makes a difference IMO

What I don't like it's the state if the roads that (you'd have thought) road tax contributed towards repairing.... Clearly not round my way anyway.... Roads like the surface of the moon!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tax is very high but then I do forget about the £475 as I hear the pur she makes down a nice country lane!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
What I don't like it's the state if the roads that (you'd have thought) road tax contributed towards repairing.... Clearly not round my way anyway.... Roads like the surface of the moon!
Hear you on the condition of the roads, but as per the cycling thread. VED doesnt go to the roads haha.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It is high but I generally don't question it as I accept the R32 is a pricey beast to keep on the road and maintained. At least while I still have a VW warranty and a servicing plan there isn't many other areas I actually have to pay for bar petrol, tax and insurance. Having said that, £500 a year is pushing it though!

·
2,803 Posts
Despite what they preach, any government loves nothing more than its citizens driving around in big engined cars drinking all the petrol, paying £500 to tax every year, thousands on petrol every year - means lots of revenue for them! If everyone switched to eco-toasters overnight the government would flip!

Its not like theres any other car I'd be happy with thats substantially less to tax

1 - 18 of 18 Posts