VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UK R32 came with two key fobs as standard. Each keyfob has two buttons, lock and unlock.

The US R32 keyfob came with 3 buttons, lock, unlock and boot release. This means you can open the boot only without unlocking the whole car.

Rather than attempting to obtain a US VW Keyfob, I discovered that the UK MkV keyfob has three buttons and would seem to operate on the same frequency as the R32 keyfob.

I purchased the MkV keyfob from Ebay, I have yet to test this but I believe from research undertaken so far that it is a simple case of transferring the key blade of the current R32 keyfob onto the MkV keyfob and reprogramming the transponder. I would then have a working MkV keyfob with my MkIV R32 with 3 buttons, lock, unlock and boot release.

I will attempt to try this, this evening.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Hope it works but i think you'd need the boot to be running another solonoid to act as a release as its already linked to the other passenger doors. Cant see it working the boot otherwise.

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still havent got round to it yet chaps, sorry. I will advise as soon as I have a result on this.

·
616 Posts
Any update on this 50? I'm tempted to do this to mine and a solenoid connected to the boot release would be cool with the extra button!

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh darn, I delocked my drivers side door yesterday Ill have to put the lock in again and try and recode the key.

·
236 Posts
Both of my key fob's have 3 buttons it's Uk supplied 6 monthes old

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pas, is your R32 the MkV model in which case im sure they all came with the three button keyfob whereas our MkIV R32 in the UK only came with the two button keyfob.

·
236 Posts
Sorry yeh but the thread said MkV

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeedy, what we are trying to do is see whether the MkV key fob works with the MkIV as the MkV key fob has an open-trunk button aswell as the usual lock and unlock :)

·
236 Posts
Ok got ya

·
748 Posts
Did ut work fithty?

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i figured ive got nothing better to do right now and took apart both my current keyfob and the MkV keyfob. I found the following differences:

1) MkIV keyfob has provision for the third button on the circuit board but is missing the button on the circuit board and of course the external button itself.
2) It seems possible to de-solder the button from the MkV circuit board and resolder to the MkIV circuit board.

So in theory, if I had my soldering iron and desoldered the button from the MkV circuit board and soldered it in place on the MkIV circuit board then it would be a simple case of putting the button cap of the MkV fob onto the mKIV fob because it would now need three buttons not the original two. I will try and improvise a soldering iron and give this a try as I dont have my iron right now.

Its not possible to simply replace the internals as the important parts on the circuit board have different numbers than the MkIV circuit board. This may simply indicate a newer version of that part but more likely they are the parts which have the different frequency.

Because this difference in frequency is an issue, the easiest way is to make the modifications mentioned above ie solder the button onto the mKIV circuit board.

Andy

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lets call the front of the circuit board the side with the buttons on and the rear of the printed circuit board (PCB) is the other side.

On the rear of the PCB, the differences between MkIV and MkV are as follows (this does not include minor differences such as different numbers printed on the board itself which likely just relate to the type or revised PCB type). The differences are in bold:

1) Number printed on processing part (not sure of correct term):

MkIV
T042
M44C890E
CH243006

MkV
T042
M44C890E
CH421012

Im not sure what this part is or the importance of the change in numbers.

Now onto the front:

1) Difference to processor, writing on them as follows

MkIV
D:22

MkV
D:44

2) Differences to lower processor

MkIV
T19111
U27418N

MkV
T68018
U27418N

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This picture shows the back of both the MkIV and MkV PCB:

This picture shows the front of the MkIV PCB:

This picture shows the front of the MkV PCB which is likely identical to the US PCB:

All I need now is to get my soldering iron back and try this!

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A thread on uk-mkivs.net would seem to suggest that the following part number works 100% on the golfs and bora, not sure if it works on the R32 though.

1J0 959 753 AH

I will continue with my mod if at the very least to get myself a three button working keyfob for the R32.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts