VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Am about to go down the modding route for my MkV.

Nothing too extensive, just a remap, milltek and a cold air intake. Maybe a Haldex Gen2 at some point.

I live in Southampton and Regal Autosport, http://www.vag-tuner.com/ who have a sound reputation, do a good deal for all of the above. The fact they are just around the corner from me is also a benefit.

They use GIAC software for the remap and I think I'll go for the EVOMS V-Flow High Flow Induction System which comes highly recommended.

With regards remapping, what is the general concensus?

Does anyone use GIAC? I don't see it used at all by members of this forum.

Would REVO be a better bet?

Or would it be better for me to have the Milltek and EVOMS fitted and then go for a Custom Map? Are there better gains to be had from this or is it simply more efficient being specific to the individual car?

If the latter, please can someone make some recommendations of the best place to go, bearing in mind I live way down South.

Many thanks,

Evo

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Evolution said:
Or would it be better for me to have the Milltek and EVOMS fitted and then go for a Custom Map?
I'd say go for this but the key is to find a company who have experience with the MkV and provide a true custom map, perfectly tailored to these mods. I have no clue who this company is though???

·
Registered
364 Posts
my thoughts on this so far are,

Milltek cat back = done
CAI = Currently sourcing the one I want
Remap = Custom Code involving a visit to JBS for the personnal touch and to see how it changes.

·
1,079 Posts
My own plans are to get a milltek cat back, Custom Code done by JBS.

I haven't yet decided on which induction system I will go for yet.

After the performance is done I will most likely look at replacing the brake discs for drilled/vented ones

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Have decided to go to Regal Autosport in Southampton for the resonated Milltek and EVOMS V Flow at a cost of £865.00 inclusive. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

Then for the custom remap, (Regal only do GIAC), it'll be up to Ray West Tuning at Thruxton. Nice guy, great advice and tells it how it is. (says that in his experience the stock MkV R32 pushes out around 230bhp and not the quoted figures). £495 inclusive and includes RR before and after.

What do you think? Just shy of £1400.00 all in.

Or would you suggest I let Ray West do the whole lot rather than split the job? It'll cost a bit more but I don't want to compromise for the sake of a couple of hundred quid, although both have excellent reputations.

Thanks,

Evo

·
3,281 Posts
Never heard of this 230bhp output. However must admit the damn thing aint what I'd describe as rapid!

·
3,281 Posts
blitzen said:
12 hp for all that grief, I've had my remap performed by JBS and need to ask myself is the £1000 extra for the exhaust plus fitting and CAI really worth it?

I can't see someone with these mods pulling car lengths on a standard R32 in any situation. However, the sound may be worth it alone!!! :lol:

·
95 Posts
I would advise doing the suspension first. A set of springs and a rear sway bar and you can easily out corner any GTIs and Rs. All that money for better sound and maybe 5% more horses is just not worth it.

·
48 Posts
jaysR32 said:
12 hp for all that grief, I've had my remap performed by JBS and need to ask myself is the £1000 extra for the exhaust plus fitting and CAI really worth it?

I can't see someone with these mods pulling car lengths on a standard R32 in any situation. However, the sound may be worth it alone!!! :lol:
Right now I have a Modshack intake ($220) was worth it some sound and a better throttle response (and my mileage got better from 21mpg to 22-23mpg / american units).
This weekend I'll get the Unitronic ecu tune ($350-$100 rebate = $250) and hope that it is worth it.
I won't do an exhaust as everything on the US market is way to expensive ($1000) and for that money I'll get a Haldex controller.
Not sure if 12hp at 6000 would be worth the $$ spend, but if there are 10hp at 2500 then it is money well spend.

·
3,392 Posts
Mine was done at Vagtech fella. Change and go for the non res milltek. I have one fitted on mine with the Carbino intake and a revo remap. It sounds spot on like they should have been made originaly when they left the factory. Its not loud around town at all only when you decide to express yourself:argh: I dont have an offical bhp figure but its a fair way ahead of my mates standard mk4 R both from a standing/rolling start. You WILL notice the difference. These mods really do transform the car and it wont sound like a chaved up saxo! Well worth the money.......

·
815 Posts
What haldex you going for Tokyo, Blue or Orange? I fancied the Orange for the 50/50 split, not 100% sure tho, whats the blue split?

I have just had the NON res milltek done at Intelligent Tuning and it was £430 fitted and its awsome sounds great and everyone knows its me when i boot it coz all my other mates have Turbo cars and they dnt sound meaty or as good as the .:R

Stu

·
1,084 Posts
Probably the Orange with a switch. It's way down on my list for cash allocation though. Got a wedding (and rings, honeymoon etc) to pay for.....

Dunno much about the blue Haldex Stu, sorry.

V configured engines always sound best! Vtwin (bike) V6 V8 etc, way better than some VTEC sh1t or turbo dump valve nonsense. (never heard a V4 on full chat though).

Tokyo aka James

·
815 Posts
Tokyo Dub said:
Probably the Orange with a switch. It's way down on my list for cash allocation though. Got a wedding (and rings, honeymoon etc) to pay for.....

Dunno much about the blue Haldex Stu, sorry.

V configured engines always sound best! Vtwin (bike) V6 V8 etc, way better than some VTEC sh1t or turbo dump valve nonsense. (never heard a V4 on full chat though).

Tokyo aka James
I dont think i can get a switch on my mk4 which is why im being more cautious about which one i buy because i dnt wanna buy it and have to swap it a week later coz i dnt like it lol.

Defo agree with the V sounding better, i have a V-Twin Bike (Suzuki SV-650) and it sounds great with my exhaust can on it.

·
324 Posts
StuOwen86 said:
I dont think i can get a switch on my mk4 which is why im being more cautious about which one i buy because i dnt wanna buy it and have to swap it a week later coz i dnt like it lol.

Defo agree with the V sounding better, i have a V-Twin Bike (Suzuki SV-650) and it sounds great with my exhaust can on it.
The main difference between the 2 controllers is the orange one keeps the rear drivetrain engaged all the time, whereas the blue operates like the standard system, but distributes quicker and more aggressivly, and more torque, to the rear, but still dis-engages when the brakes and clutch are stepped on.

I have a Mk4 with the blue, and its awesome, far more balanced on the edge and very neutral when pushed hard. You won't regret it. Thicker sway bars will only improve things further too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts