VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Load of rubbish if you ask me. I don't know of any mk5s with chain issues.

Oil in which sensor? The top two black sensors are camshaft position sensors. Easy cheap DIY fix which should be the starting point. You can even swap them over and see if the readings swap over or stay the same.

The brown and black sensor below are the variable cam solenoids. They are a bigger job to replace but unlikely to have failed.

Where are you based? You need someone with vcds to run some checks.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The only place I'd take my car for any open heart surgery is Gaz Jones of Vag Auto Care in Lincoln.

Its a long shot, but in various VAG models those solenoids have been known to get sticky from debris or oil issues. They operate like an electro magnet from what I read. Passat W8 owners had this issue and the trick they use is to apply a voltage from the car battery in quick bursts to the solenoid. I tried this on my car recently and then again a few weeks later. There is a thread somewhere on here. Might be in my head but it seemed to improve the car.

Basically you get two wires with crocodile clips on them and attach them to the solenoids.Then attach one to the positive terminal on the battery, the other you then touch the negative terminal in quick bursts. The 12v extends the piston and retracts it upon release. By doing this many times the solenoid frees up, Goes from a faint click to a nice firm click as it frees up.

VCDS can do the same thing but it only does it with 5v which is not always sufficient to free them up. A 9v battery or the car battery is better.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Personally having seen the difference old and new sensors make including different brands even I'd say change the cam sensors. Cheap easy diy which eliminates it from the equation. Buy Bosch ones.

No the poles are not affected by positive or negative when applying the activation voltage on the solenoids.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Sorry to hear pal. I think they are different part numbers.

030907601E

Try buycarparts.co.uk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts