VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have had my MkV for a couple of months now and absolutely love it.

Unfortunately, visiting this forum on a frequent basis has got me very tempted to try the mod route, in terms of performance and handling.

I'm sure it's been done elsewhere on this forum but can anyone list the definitive modding route, the approx power and torque gains or advantages and approx costs.

I'm sure the list is endless and there will be plenty of opinions but I want to start slowly, (as cash is limited) and build up so I'd appreciate the best way of going about things.

Also, I live in Southampton so does anyone have any experience of reputable tuners in this neck of the woods although I am willing to travel. Ray West has a good reputation and he's in Andover.

Cheers,

Evo

·
2,808 Posts
West tuning did my car (I found out about it in a magazine a few posts down?!), and as theyr near you theyd probably be the best bet, they recently did someones on here, Zirconiim I think??
Think APS do a 300bhp conversion 'package' that some people have gone for and its not too expensive. Not sure how real the 300hp gain claim is though.
Getting a haldex controller and sorting your suspension would transform the car sustantially too.

·
324 Posts
The problem is there is more than one way to skin a cat mate.

A good cheap start is either change the panel filter to a pipercross/ITG/Green/K&N (£40approx.) or fit a complete CAI like a Carbonio (£150 approx.)

The you would go down the exhaust route but have a choice of Milltek (£400 approx.) or Supersprint for example. You can then add higher flow cats from milltek (£550 approx.), or you can de-cat it completely...

A good addition would be a re-map but you can go for either REVO, or APS, or perhaps even GIAC/APR or West (£350 approx.)

All will give very similar results for not a huge amount of money but then don't expect more than 20-25bhp at most, although the power delivery will be altered for the better, smoother and in addition with a slightly higher rev limit.

Then there is suspension. You could buy slightly stiffer springs from H&R (£160 approx.), uprate the anti-roll bars front and rear, H&R/Neuspeed (£300 approx.), or get coilovers instead of springs (£750 approx.)

The Haldex sport controller will set you back £500 approx and that makes a good difference when driving hard. A nice set of huge Porsche/Brembo/Stoptech stoppers costs around £1600 and will reduce laptimes dramatically if you do any trackdays.

I don't think there is a normal road car on this earth that only has one way to tune it and forced induction (turbo or supercharger) hasnt even been mentioned, and you can always add a wet NOS kit upto around 100bhp on a progressive controller for less than £1000.

Its infinite i'm afraid mate but HTH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts