VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks

As everyone on here is mega helpful i thought id ask before hurling some abuse at o2. A few years ago i had my phone upgraded which i gave to an ex gf and took out a new cheaper contract.

This contract would appear to have expired last year and without me knowing with any contact from o2 they had automatically renewed it which ive only just spotted this month while looking at old bank statements

From a cancellation perspective where would i stand?? Would i need to pay off remaining contract?

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Well as you've not informed them of wanting to cancel, then yes, they will automatically continue to renew your contract until you let them know... So unfortunately yes, you'll need to buy your way out of it..

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Ryan-H said:
Well as you've not informed them of wanting to cancel, then yes, they will automatically continue to renew your contract until you let them know... So unfortunately yes, you'll need to buy your way out of it..
Not really, I'm assuming a new phone hasn't been taken out therefore no long term contract

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah havent had a new phone from it since my galaxy s1 about 3 years. Dammit cos thats over 57 a month as its that old now

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Not really, I'm assuming a new phone hasn't been taken out therefore no long term contract
Actually, it's irrespective of whether he's taken a new phone out or not.. A contract remains in force whether you upgrade the phone at every possible point or keep the same phone forever on that tariff until the point of cancellation.. Since he gave the phone to his girlfriend at the time, whilst taking out a separate new contract, this still leaves the original contract in operation because he didn't cancel it, as well as having to pay for the new cheaper one.

So even If she sells the phone or they split up, it doesn't matter, he will still be eligible for paying the bill to her phone until the contract is ended.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Ryan-H said:
Actually, it's irrespective of whether he's taken a new phone out or not.. A contract remains in force whether you upgrade the phone at every possible point or keep the same phone forever on that tariff until the point of cancellation.. Since he gave the phone to his girlfriend at the time, whilst taking out a separate new contract, this still leaves the original contract in operation because he didn't cancel it, as well as having to pay for the new cheaper one. So even If she sells the phone or they split up, it doesn't matter, he will still be eligible for paying the bill to her phone until the contract is ended.
99.9% of the time a renewal automatic or otherwise if you don't take another phone it will be a rolling contact..... simples

·
697 Posts
If the original contract expired it just goes onto a rolling one on the same tariff.

You can cancel anytime you like from now on, just got to give them 30 days notice

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
sie b said:
If the original contract expired it just goes onto a rolling one on the same tariff. You can cancel anytime you like from now on, just got to give them 30 days notice
thankyou

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
sie b said:
If the original contract expired it just goes onto a rolling one on the same tariff. You can cancel anytime you like from now on, just got to give them 30 days notice
Correct.

·
774 Posts
Should be just rolling month on month I would have thought.

If you haven't spoken with them about entering into a new contract, then there is no verbal agreement from you on record to hold you to anything. And its highly unlikely your mobile contract terms and conditions state you're contract will automatically be renewed, because the mobile companies will want you to upgrade and take the newer more expensive handsets, as chances are they will cost more per month.

Just call them and you should be able to cancel with 30 days notice.

I'm with Orange, and have been for many years, and that's how my contracts always work.

Just think of all the folk who wait month on month after their contracts expire, waiting on new iPhone and Samsung Galaxy releases etc so they can upgrade.

Might have to let the ex know her phone may be getting cut off though! Although could be quite satisfying for you if it was a bitter break up! Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts