VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im a newboy around here so just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
Thinking of gettin a '32 quite son as soon as i get rid of my G60.
What kind of modifications do you guys do to your cars ?
Ive read that the haldex thingy is a good buy to improve the handling
What bout exhausts ? Ive noticed a few people run millteks, how much noisier does an aftermarket make it ? Is the standard exhaust annoying or is it okay ?
Any one chipped theirs ? what difference does it make ?
Any answers will be a great help
Ta

·
1,432 Posts
:hello:

Take a look at my signature and ask any questions associated with that.

The haldex PP is best for those who track their R, I dont think you would get much out of the sport controller on the street but the comp version is probably great for the street.
The stock exhaust with the flapper mod is what most people do unless youre upgrading to a SS system, Milltek is most popular although there are great stories about the Supersprint, Blueflame and APR systems.

Are you getting the MkIV or MkV R32?

·
1,222 Posts
Hi all, im a newboy around here so just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
Hi

Thinking of gettin a '32 quite son as soon as i get rid of my G60.
Good choice, will that be a MK4 or MK5

What kind of modifications do you guys do to your cars ?
well the list would be long if we mentioned all of them, but here are a few

1. Exhuast
  2. Cold Air Intakes
  3. Remaps
  4. Cosmetic Mods (Stubby Aerials, Lower Front Grills etc)
  5. Forced Induction (Supercharges , Turbo Charges)
  6. Wheels
  7. Brakes

As I said the list could go on and on, read the forums and that will give you a flavour of the mods currently carried out my other R32 owners

Ive read that the haldex thingy is a good buy to improve the handling
Yes that is true, however some people have stated they can't really notice much of a difference, I will hopefully get this down sometime.

What bout exhausts ? Ive noticed a few people run millteks, how much noisier does an aftermarket make it ? Is the standard exhaust annoying or is it okay ?
I have recently got a Milltek Non Resonated Cat Back System, and I love it! Before that I carried out the flapper mod on the STD exhaust which did improve the sound, however the problem with the STD exhaust is the Boomy effect @ 60MPH. see this link for video of my milltek

http://www.r32oc.com/showthread.php?t=751

Any one chipped theirs ? what difference does it make ?
I have not done this yet, however read this

http://www.r32oc.com/showthread.php?t=957

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
itll be a mk4.
currently drive a company car everyday and have a G60 in the garage for good weather but looking for a new job and i aint drivin a 60 to work everyday !
So wanted something to enjoy drivin about in, go to work in and something thatll still put a grin on my face !
This exhaust flap, does it make it loads noisier takin it off ?
Im not bothered about going crazy with it cos itll be a daily yoke. and im fed up of spedin all my doe on upgrading cars !!

·
4,328 Posts
Mpg can very depending on the person and the kind of driving done, but it varies from like 19 ( i get this in the cornish lanes:) )up to around the 27 mark.

As for modding the mk4 there are i would say three must do things straight away:

1 - delock the driver door.
2 - complete the flapper mod.
3 - check the delaer has done the 6463 update (probably best to add this into the buying negotiations)

after that i would do:

4 - exhaust, most people love the milltek but i have also heard the apr is very very nice :)
5 - a cold air intake, which i would normaly say eip but you will have to look around now i think becuase of the state of the company.
6 - anti roll bars, either h&r or neuspeed.
7 - tyrol brake stiffening kit.
8 - haldex controller, either blue or orange.
9 - coilovers.

i could go on and on but i think its enought for now :)

·
83 Posts
Just wondering are VW dealers charging for the 6463 update now? I need to phone my local stealers tomorrow to get mine booked in...

·
4,328 Posts
some do mate, but i know alot of people havent been charged and i know of a garage in dorset which doesnt charge. So if helston say they will charge, as they did to cherry, say you can get it free there under warranty :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do 80 miles round trip daily - mixture of fast A roads, some B and 4 junctions of the M5 :-

(on average readout display)
...generally 22 mpg - spirited
...17 mpg giving it beans
...32 driving like a queen

flapper mod - more rasp throughout rev range and erradicates the midrange boom (which tbh I really like having - makes the car sound beefy) also noticed I seem to get "less" burble and pop when I have the flapper mod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts