VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

was driving yesterday near manchester, was going round a smallish roundabout in the outer lane at 35-40mph, constant speed, foot on accelerator but not accelerating, certainly not pushing the car at all. The road was a bit greasy/wet after a light rainfall but it wasnt raining. Suddenly for about 0.5-1 seconds the car lost traction, the tail started to go and then traction control kicked in. Have to say it freaked me out a bit because I was driving quite sedately. I tried to recreate the incident but it didnt happen again and I drove it harder later and it was fine but the roads had dried a bit more by then. Dont recall any greasy spots or anything on the roundabout that would cause that. Bit earlier in the journey it slipped slightly but only momentarily so didnt think anything of it, but this one was longer and definitely got my attention. Have pushed it on wet roads before and it has felt totally solid and never done this. Check tyres after pulling over, all looked normal pressure, no flat spots etc..

Anyone else had similar experience or thoughts?? Hope it doesnt happen again..

·
1,184 Posts
Happened to me on a wet roundabout after a rainstorm in France as the surfaces are much smoother and often dry for long periods then wet storms. Enjoyed an oversteer rush but car tucked back in sweetly. Wait for the snow like I did then go out for a play with traction control to learn more about what the car will do. I lost the front end on some ice over the winter and the 4mo saved me a certain smash as the FWD A3 behind me wrote his car off so have faith in the .:R!

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it may have been just the road condition. The car didnt step out of line too much, it just surprised me, and the traction kicked in with the light flashing on the dash and it was all sorted out in about 2-3 seconds. I was just surprised as I have pushed it fairly hard on the twisty roads, am sure they were wet, and it felt completely secure and didnt engage TC.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find in the wet or on very greasy roads the rear wheels will break loose very easily. Thats with the traction control off!!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
281 Posts
I'd say oil or diesel as well.

Its easy to get the back end to kick out a little if the Haldex kicks in mid way through a roundabout, surprised me a few times when I fitted the Blue Haldex as the rears kick in more often and much harder than on standard Haldex.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with CraziScot. There was a diesel spill on a local A road a couple of weeks ago, looks like something leaked for about 2 miles before turning off. I could see it occasionally when the sun hit it, at one point the 32 blipped a bit on a calm right hander. Just kept the wheels either side of the oil after that. So probably a bit of oil.

·
199 Posts
I think it sounds like you hit a diesel spot, had this happen to me a few weeks back and all 4 wheels went, was fun for a second there but was glad i was in the car and not on the bike otherwise i would have ended up in the hedge! Diesel is a motorcyclists nightmare!!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
I had this happen to me when driving my old 106 gti, turned out it was a patch of diesel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i had exactly this....
booted it, and all of a sudden got power back.... at full revs in 1st gear turning right off a set of lights.

all i can say is that its lucky there was no-one on the pavement... and that a wheel refurbisher will b very happy!
collided with curb, shredded tyre etc....

·
66 Posts
I Remember, a quote from mr J Clarkson when he first reveiwed the Mk4 R32. "Thoes of you with a tailslide disposition are going to be dissapointed as well because it really wont play ball no matter what you do" I have found this to be quite untrue especially on wet roundabouts, leave the ESP on and it lets the back end go a little bit, but once it's realised whats happend it soon sort's it out again. Turn the ESP off and it can go very sideways indeed.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alan2796 said:
I Remember, a quote from mr J Clarkson when he first reveiwed the Mk4 R32. "Thoes of you with a tailslide disposition are going to be dissapointed as well because it really wont play ball no matter what you do" I have found this to be quite untrue especially on wet roundabouts, leave the ESP on and it lets the back end go a little bit, but once it's realised whats happend it soon sort's it out again. Turn the ESP off and it can go very sideways indeed.
hehe, very cool. The car has been rock solid ever since, think it was my first experience of the ESP kicking in really. Must have been some diesel (dirty buggers!!) on the road. Mine is a silver one like the Top gear r/v, looks the business!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts